• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WV Here I come!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something else to consider, and this comes from empirical knowledge. Avoid, if you can, shooting a deer that is already is facing down hill. They tend to go the direction they are heading at the hit, and even with only a small amount of momentum when they drop into the piles of dead leaves that will be there they can slide a surprising distance down the slope. A good length of rope, and even a pulley would be worth having available when needed. Hunting on my own land I had the luxury of a Kawasaki Mule, and a lot of rope, but I learned pretty quick to not shoot one that would likely slide another 50 or 60 yards after it was already dead. Have to slide down there to hook it up, and crawl back up yourself.

Something else to consider, and this comes from empirical knowledge. Avoid, if you can, shooting a deer that is already is facing down hill. They tend to go the direction they are heading at the hit, and even with only a small amount of momentum when they drop into the piles of dead leaves that will be there they can slide a surprising distance down the slope. A good length of rope, and even a pulley would be worth having available when needed. Hunting on my own land I had the luxury of a Kawasaki Mule, and a lot of rope, but I learned pretty quick to not shoot one that would likely slide another 50 or 60 yards after it was already dead. Have to slide down there to hook it up, and crawl back up yourself.
You are absolutely correct about shot choice and placement when hunting in the mountains.

Hunt in the NC mountains with 1800 feet of elevation change on the property. A few years ago one of our ‘heart lung’ guys popped a nice buck late in the day. It maybe ran 30 yards. Then it slid ‘down hill’ somewhere around 150 to 200 feet. He had no idea how to retrieve it. He was sure it was down, but couldn’t put eyes on it before it got dark. ‘Search team’ located the deer about 10 AM the next morning. A club member spotted it hung up in some rhododendrons. He got within 50 yards or so, but couldn’t easily get closer to the deer. The shooter got to the deer about 2PM. His first comment was it was a perfect double lung shot... Short story, the deer arrived at the cabin about 5PM. Tried to save the the back straps, but even they had turned according to those present. North Carolina, bright sunshine, near 80°...... about 24 hours since shot. Surprise surprise. A perfect double lung shot that wasted no meat..... Oh, need to add, this hunter would ride others who is his opinion ‘ruined’ any meat with their shots. It was made clear to him he was on his own in the future. He hunted one more year with us then vanished.

I have also gravitated towards larger caliber roundballs or heavy conicals. Want to take out at least one shoulder, though prefer taking both, or better yet for that right here right now moment, a low neck or high shoulder shot that takes out the spine.

Two words for you my friend......comfortable shoes! A trick I learned when humping up and down mountains, a good dusting of foot powder, then a wrap of duct tape around your heel/ankle, helps from rolling them. Just don't make it too tight so as too cut off the circulation. And trim your toenails, that's important. Most important of all, have a great time! Remember, for it to count as an adventure, you have to break something, forget to bring something, and get an injury! Good hunting and be safe!

You are absolutely correct about shot choice and placement when hunting in the mountains.

Hunt in the NC mountains with 1800 feet of elevation change on the property. A few years ago one of our ‘heart lung’ guys popped a nice buck late in the day. It maybe ran 30 yards. Then it slid ‘down hill’ somewhere around 150 to 200 feet. He had no idea how to retrieve it. He was sure it was down, but couldn’t put eyes on it before it got dark. ‘Search team’ located the deer about 10 AM the next morning. A club member spotted it hung up in some rhododendrons. He got within 50 yards or so, but couldn’t easily get closer to the deer. The shooter got to the deer about 2PM. His first comment was it was a perfect double lung shot... Short story, the deer arrived at the cabin about 5PM. Tried to save the the back straps, but even they had turned according to those present. North Carolina, bright sunshine, near 80°...... about 24 hours since shot. Surprise surprise. A perfect double lung shot that wasted no meat..... Oh, need to add, this hunter would ride others who is his opinion ‘ruined’ any meat with their shots. It was made clear to him he was on his own in the future. He hunted one more year with us then vanished.

I have also gravitated towards larger caliber roundballs or heavy conicals. Want to take out at least one shoulder, though prefer taking both, or better yet for that right here right now moment, a low neck or high shoulder shot that takes out the spine.
I appreciate the suggestion and knowledge on this subject, gentlemen. Not having shot deer in the mountains I wouldn't have thought of either of those scenarios, the direction of travel or the heart/lung shot dilemma that can waste a whole deer due to not being able to retrieve it in a timely manner. I once shot a cow elk in Wyoming that, when it succumbed to the mortal wounds, was on the precipice of a steeper incline than I am accustom to. Needless to say, when the offal was severed from the body cavity it slurped, slipped and slopped down that hillside in double quick fashion. Thankfully the cow had enough purchase on the rocks to stay put until cut up and hauled out.

Double lunged a big doe one day at about 15 Yds. w/ a .62 cal. No matter what I said to her , she jumped with gravities" help , down over a 75 yd. slope too steep to pull her back up through the foot of snow , so I could drag her back the down hill short way. Instead of an hour and 1/2 easy drag , I was 2 hr. 45 min , around a hill , back to the truck. Was worth it , she was a lot of top quality meat.

If it's legal, bone it out right there or at least quarter it. I'm 77 and hunt the rockies and I can bone a deer out and pack it out in one trip. Not bragging, just trying to give perspective.
That is a great idea, in the Adirondacks, we always carried the deer out like a backpack. Or, if alone, dragged it. Probably a lot easier to carry just the necessary stuff out and leave the excess weight on the ground.

The days of carrying a whole deerr are in the past for me now, and I don't get as far from the road as I used to.

Wife and I were in that area (New River Gorge) for three days in Sept. WV is rugged & gorgeous country! Not as physically bad as the Rockies due to lower altitude, but every bit as steep. We really enjoyed our time there and will definitely be back.

Almost heaven? Close enough for us!!!

Good luck!
IMG_20230908_134531.jpg
IMG_20230908_171046.jpg

Ya, this isn't my first rodeo going to WV. I've been going there almost every year for the past several years. I have a friend that lives around Clay and I usually stay at they're house, but he had heart surgery a little over a year ago and his wife just had back surgery. So I'm going to stay a a hotel this time. I'm from the flat land and it usually takes a couple of days to get used to going up and down the mountains.

Just got a place in Hampshirite County and will be heading there! Had a place just down the road but sold it 24 years ago to move to Florida and now almost done with it here found the new place and could not pass it up! Was up there 2 1/2 weeks ago and it was full color fall just beautiful! Good Luck have a great time and keep an eye out for Bigfoot”He Lives”

Back