• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WTB .610" round ball mould

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could buy some ready made .610 balls from Track to try before you buy a mold. I bough a Lee .690 mold for my 12 ga, they shot poorly, I tried some ready made .700 that shot really well so I ordered a Tanner mold in .700.

Like was mentioned Tanner molds don't come with handle but you can buy them from Tanner when you buy the mold. In my case I have so many molds that I have a variety that I don't use and took the handles off them to use on my Tanner.

Eric, Just to update you and others on my search for a better fitting RB for my smoothie. Two years ago I measured the bore of my GRF trade gun and found it was a tad over .618". I then ordered a .618" ball mould from Jeff Tanner, which arrived surprisingly fast. (The price was good too.) I've since experimented with it in various "bare ball" combinations, including roughing it up between two coarse files. While that increased its diameter to .619", it didn't improve accuracy. My best loads with it, best being a relative term, are with tow wads fore and aft and 80 - 90 grains of FFg. The tow wads I've found need to be large enough to require a bit of muscle to seat. Naturally, bore fouling/bore cleanliness is a major factor here, but I'm pretty sure I can hit a good sized target with it @ 50 yd. Pinpoint accuracy and tiny groups? No way, but it is fun to try.

I have a rear sight on my smoothie, I tried bare balls but couldn't group on the side of a barn with that loading.

I use a .700 ball (my bore is .723) with a .023 patch and 100 gr of 1F and a thick recoil pad.

I think this is 25 yards and the difference between a .690 and a .700 ball. The Xed out holes are from my .54. The date stamp on the picture is way off by about 15 years.
fowler small size ball target.jpg

Back