• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Worse flint ever?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flints can and do break and often the knapper will be completely unaware of an internal flaw. It's part of the game when using flintlocks instead of percussion. The biggest "operator" cause of broken flints is that a flint is loose in the jaws. If it twists at all without the shooter noticing, it will break on the next shot.

If anyone has a lock that sometimes breaks flints no matter how careful they are, they should select or ask for thicker flints with a steeper angle to the edge. No, they won't stay sharp as long but a broken flint puts a gun out of commission for a bit.

I've sometimes had customers tell me that their lock "likes real thin flints" then later tell me, "your flints seem a little fragile sometimes". :hmm: I always select flints for the lock depending on how easy or hard it is on flints.

I completely agree that the flint must be held securely in the jaws of your lock.
One reason this is difficult is some flints have irregular surfaces. This jig for my diamond tile saw corrects this problem and makes the flint perfectly parallel.

IMG_3859.jpg

They end up looking like this.

IMG_3857.jpg

They can be clamped in the cock's jaws securely, easily, with no worry of the flint moving.

I gave a buddy of mine a chunk of clay bird in a fire startin contest once :haha:

Back