• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Working on a lube mix

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nw_hunter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just finished mixing up a batch of bullet lube. (first try)
I used a formula I got off the WWW.
1/2 lb bees wax
1/2 lb Toilet wax ring
2 tbs Crisco

Blended it together in a double boiler.tested it after it cooled and it's a little stiff, so I'll add another 2 tbs Crisco. Results tomorrow!
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well. :grin:

Watch out for those toilet rings. Some are beeswax and others are some kind of off-yellow sticky goo that leaves a cruddy tar in the bore. There are probably many variations. I know one brand is very soft and used by fly tyers as a dubbing wax . . . off hand I can't remember what brand. Burn some with a propane torch on a piece or ceramic or metal and see what you have left. I remember a couple years ago one of our members had a problem with the synthetic kind after using the beeswax variety prior with no problems.

If you have bees wax why use the toilet bowl ring? On the topic of bees wax, I have a box of dusty old wax from the wifee's uncle's old hives, say 25 years old? is there a way to clean it up? just wash and melt it. Figure the junk will sink to the bottom? Then can I use it to lube the bullets or conicals if I make it into a lube and what about patches for round ball?

Melt the wax slowly. A "rolling boil" will keep stuff mixed in. Strain through cheesecloth or an old T shirt and it will be fine. Work with the stuff every day and it's really not hard to clean. Don't heat to a flash point though :nono:

I just finished mixing up a batch of bullet lube. (first try)
I used a formula I got off the WWW.
1/2 lb bees wax
1/2 lb Toilet wax ring
2 tbs Crisco

Blended it together in a double boiler.tested it after it cooled and it's a little stiff, so I'll add another 2 tbs Crisco. Results tomorrow!

Sure hope it's satisfactory. Looks like a lifetimes supply! :shocked2: :haha:

buttonbuck said:
If you have bees wax why use the toilet bowl ring? On the topic of bees wax, I have a box of dusty old wax from the wifee's uncle's old hives, say 25 years old? is there a way to clean it up? just wash and melt it. Figure the junk will sink to the bottom? Then can I use it to lube the bullets or conicals if I make it into a lube and what about patches for round ball?

Put it in a pot with a couple inches of water and a couple teaspoons of vinegar. Bring it to a boil and boil for a few minutes. Let cool and then remove wax cake from the pan. Most of the crud will be in the water but some will stick to the bottom of the wax cake. You can wash it off or scrape it off.

HD

I am a linoleum layer i always have a case of wax rings in my truck. After seeing posts using wax rings for lube and greasing revolvers i though i hit the jackpot. I phoned Kant-Leak before trying to use them for lube to find out what they are made of it turns out they are made out of petroleum based wax. Oh well i guess you can't win them all.

Mike

nw,

Iffin yer makin a lube for conical bullets, I've had good luck with beeswax and crisco in a 50/50 mix. You can adjust the mix to suit ya. GW

OH WELL! I'll do the old propane torch test on it. If no crud, I'll use it. I just don't know what to do with the toilet since I stole the ring. :hmm:

Stumpkiller-your "MOOSE SNOT"works pretty well for bullet lube BP cartridge.I have not tried it yet in cold weather,I 'll let you know in a couple of weeks.Forgive me for the BP cartridge,thought some folks might have been curious about it.Respectfully Montanadan

I have some wax I used in62 for body work,you waxed your wooden paddles that you used on the lead. I used beeswax and groundhog oil for 20yrs,put enought wax in so it didn't run out of my tins. Now use deer fat, it don't run when it is 90 out. Use to melt the beeswax, put maxis in freezer, then dip in wax, you get a heavier coating if maxis are cold. Been using the old wax to flux when making bullets. Dilly

montanadan said:
Stumpkiller-your "MOOSE SNOT"works pretty well for bullet lube BP cartridge.I have not tried it yet in cold weather,I 'll let you know in a couple of weeks.Forgive me for the BP cartridge,thought some folks might have been curious about it.Respectfully Montanadan

No apologies necessary. I love the old b.p.cartridge rifles and wish I had one (or a few)

Here's a lesser known variation I use for sealing cap-and-ball cylinders. It worked pretty good with R.E.A.L. bullets and Maxi-Hunters, but I swore off conicals (even during regular season, which is when I used them in my T/C). ;-)

S t u m p k i l l e r’ s
MOOSE MARROW
All Weather Moisturizing Conical Lube & Laxative

A denser lube for adhering in the grooves of conical bullets

Beeswax 3 oz.
Castor Oil 9 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 1 oz.

I did the torch test as stumpkiller suggested and no yucky tar type residue was left. Nice clean burn. I added more crisco to the mix and it's still just a tad to stiff.It looks like a 60/40 mix will do the trick. Using about 70/30 now. 70 being the wax. Might have to get Rebel to make me some more real bullets to test on! :grin: Just kiddin Reb, I have some left, and by the way...Thanks much!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.

Back