• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Working flint?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperbelly

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have some time this weekend so I will try working the flint nodule I have to see if it can be used for gun flints.
Someone here mentioned that it's still in it's matrix. It's a flint nodule I picked up and is still rocky looking on the outside.
I can guess I need to hit it with a big hammer to get it to where I can do something with it, but do I hit it on the side or on the end? It looks sort of like a potato right now.

Thanks,
Jim

A big Iron or steel hammer head will only shatter the nodule into shards and pieces. Read up on flintknapping before you hit your first flint nodule. If you will google " Flintknapping " you will learn lots of information.

Rich Pierce, who posts here now and again, had an excellent article on gunflint knapping in On the Trail magazine a couple of issues back.[url] http://www.ottmagazine.com/[/url]

Rod

Last edited by a moderator:
Pepperbelly, I know exactly what your trying to find out. I also have 5 nodules closely resembling potatoes. I cannot find any info for that first crack or whatever you want to call it. All the sites I have been to start off with smaller pieces already broken from the original nodule. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone comes up with that magic info. Uncrichie.

Google up YouTube and type in "basic flint knapping". They have a bunch of knapping videos. One is knocking chunks off of a large nodule. Worth looking at.
sniper

Back