• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Worked on Some Indian Made Locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi

I worked on some Indian made locks with some sucess, shortened the throw of the cock and carburzied the frizzen for a nice spark.

Question to the forum about how these locks are polished.

I used to think a majority of Indian locks were buffed with a cotton wheel and compound To a high luster finish. With a closer look at some recent locks, I noticed all of the edges are rounded over, is this possible from placing the lock parts in a tumbler with shot, sand or compound? Never seen lock parts with rounded over edges.

I’ve seen some Indian made locks that looked like they were over polished with a buffing wheel, I can tell by dished out screw holes.

Agree, cotton wheels generally provide for a poor finish.

I only use a cotton wheel on very low RPM’s on even surfaces, gun parts generally are out of this category.

Last edited:
Best wheels are stitched to keep them from spreading out. Polishing parts takes a long time to learn. You sound like a craftsman sir.

Took many firearms to become proficient and just barley. My business partner was the pro on polishing as he said no excuse for sloppy work.

Back