• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wool wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dogmann...

I use a .060 inch thick, .516-inch in diameter vegetable fiber wad in all 3 or my .50 caliber rifles, one flintlock and 2 Hawken rifles. I found it made the shot-to-shot consistency better and protected the cloth patch so well that it could have been re-used.

I noticed that the groups of shots all tended to hit somewhat higher on the paper targets using the veggie fiber wads when shooting off the bench-rest than it did when I didn't use the wads when shooting from the bench-rest at 25 and 50 yards.

I can only attribute the higher hits on the target to what I read both here and in other black powder forums concerning what others have claimed was the fact that the vegetable fiber wad helped to increase the rifle's muzzle velocity due to a more consistent packing of the powder in the rifle.

However, I haven't chronographed the shots yet, so I'm taking the word of others about that. However, it all sounds as if it is true... and it seems to prove out in the wads use as well.

The vegetable fiber wads are BIODEGRADABLE and I get them from: John Walters, 500 N. Avery Drive, Moore Ok.73160. Ph:(405)799-0376

John will send you 1,000 vegetable fiber wads together with an invoice and a note saying if you're not happy with the wads, you can return them or you can send a check for their purchase.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Ron T. said:
However, I haven't chronographed the shots yet, so I'm taking the word of others about that.

FYI, to my total surprise, I chronographed my .62cal loads one day with and without Oxyoke wads and the shots "with" wads were actually about 20-25 fps slower than without.

Back in the 1980's I was deer hunting with a friend and at the end of the day unloading his rifle did not go off. I gave him a ball puller to remove the load and his powder was certainly to wet to ignite. Since that day I have always used a wad or dry patch between the powder and the prb. I don't know how much it helps but it can't hurt.................watch yer top knot.............

Back