• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wool blanket find

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am told that you can completely disinfect a blanket by laying it out in full sun for at least 8 hours. The UV light kills all bacteria and viruses. (The same as with SODIS water disinfection.)

:rotf: I was joking from a historical perspective.

Yep UV can kill some bacteria, it also gets rid of that musty mildew smell.

First thing I do when I get a blanket is wash it.

Enough rum and nothing can get you :rotf: except polar bears :hmm: na more rum .

I made an insurance claim for among other things, two Hudson Bay blankets and a Capote made from a Hudson Bay. The insurance adjuster nearly choked and then called complaining. Told him if he can buy the real thing cheaper, he can supply those instead of the $. He called back later after perusing the various offerings on line for new replacements and said he did not understand why a $15.00 blanket from Walmart wouldn't do. I told him we can both go camping next January. Me with two HB blankets and he with two Walmart blankets and we'll see who gets frostbite.

I own a large 'double-bed' size i've used to roll up in a light tarp. grey getting threadbare has 3 light red stripes crossing side to side.
hoping to find a heavier blanket even smaller one for top cover. for widerness camp under tarp lean-to type shelter with fire and reflectorplate in back of fire facing the shelter. comeing winter shelter, going to have a llama pack much gear for us into the plott balsams, and couple large dog fit with packs carrying gear, supplies, food and their bedding. we pack our clothing/outerwaer some gear and guns.
we will get small game for sure but aim to bag a deer for camp meat early on. and hopefully a set of horns for a display rack and meat to pack out. :thumbsup: an archer will be along - he can take a doe if needed. eithersex hunt. I'll have my .50 hawken style. 2 gun-buds have .45 kentucy and other .45 pennsylvania. all good shooters.
6 months to practice/rehearse. :thumbsup:

Way too flashy for my liking but found a Ralph Lauren 100% wool blanket seems to be about 78"x90"

Medium weight and a fairly tight weave. Maybe the bright colors will keep the bears away :haha:

About $15

The photo is a bit fuzzy :redface: I had to use flash so the color is Brighter :shocked2: in real life.

Why don't I read anything about Pendleton wool blankets? I have one I have used for over 30 years. Just had it cleaned. Have slept on top of my bag under just the blanket many nights down to 25f and didn't wake. I like it a lot. And ------"its perty too"

Look at the bright side....in the cold morning when you wake up and wrap that blanket around you to keep warm.....and wonder off into the woods to relieve yourself.......no hunter will mistake you for an animal. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
sidelock said:
Why don't I read anything about Pendleton wool blankets? I have one I have used for over 30 years. Just had it cleaned. Have slept on top of my bag under just the blanket many nights down to 25f and didn't wake. I like it a lot. And ------"its perty too"

Sidelock, now-ah-days it is spelled $$Pendleton$$ :haha:

I found a used Pendleton shirt at goodwill where almost every shirt is 6.99 or less.....$29.99!!

I still might have bought it except it was a XL that someone washed in hot water :doh: & would maybe fit a med. or a small.... but never my XL-XXL self :(

From what I have seen, very few if any of the current Pendleton blankets have a pattern that is anywhere near period correct. The patterns are all from the 1880's at the earliest.

If I want a New Pendleton blanket, I am close enough to Pendleton OR to go to the store and pick up "seconds". There might be a small hole or a stripe that is not quite straight but otherwise, they are great. I have one that I picked up about 5 years ago for $45 that had a tag that said the stripe was not straight! Couldn't prove it by me!

Back