• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woodsman Tarp

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Had need of a smaller shelter to attend some events this year. Something that would work for both primitive camping or a local rendezvous. A trip down to the local Tractor Supply yielded a 12 oz tarp in 10' x12'...

Found a great website that listed the plans for a Woodsman tarp shelter. Tinkered with the layout a little bit and came up with a comfortable design that sets up fast...can be set up without poles, one pole, or two to three. As shown the door flaps are staked winged open. But they will close to seal the tarp tent. There are multiple ways to set this up. Diamond, A style, etc... are other options.

I have less then $75 invested and maybe 4hrs stitching time. Will be giving it a trial run next weekend at a demo.

Bagman said:
Clyde...
http://nwwoodsman.com/Product/Shelter/TarpTent.html

intend to sew the rest of the grommets.

But heck, canvas is not common.

so I went to this sight and found the bedrolls

[youtube]eLDPZtyCiRM[/youtube]

:surrender: Now I know these are for horseback, but if you knew how much I sweated Not making my bed roll too bulky :idunno: I think you could fit 3 of the one I made into what he rolls up :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of grommets you could just tie a pebble or marble at the location with a bootlace or other PC cordage.

If there are existing grommets, it might be easier to over-sew them with linen or hemp enough to hide the brass.

If none exist, then a spike is used to make a hole in the cloth (without cutting the material) by spreading the woven fibers. The hole edge is reinforced with a donut of cord, and the entire affair is stitched to make the grommet. In material that won't undergo much stress, the donut could probably be omitted. This process is much like hand-sewing button holes in material.

That said, for tarps without grommets, I've used 50-54 caliber balls and cord to make tie-downs/tie-outs.

I intend to over sew mine. Most likely with hemp thread. The Tarp Tent I made would never pass at a juried event. But that was never my intended purpose. It is fine for some of the events and demos I attend these days.

I like being warm. With a long fire and the front winged open....This is downright toasty. :thumbsup:

Sewn on tab loops for the stakes are also historically correct and perhaps easier to sew than grommets. You could sew the tab ends over the grommets to hide the brass ones.

Twisted_1in66:thumbsup:
Dan

His bedrolls are pretty cool but 1935 pattern is much later than what I can use.

I'm currently using three wool blankets for cold weather and two for normal. I fold one over lengthwise on the bottom for a bottom pad. Then I put my remaining two blankets together; fold them in half; then curl up the bottom and pin it with brass blanket pins. I also put two or three blanket pins up the side to close it up. I've basically made a little sleeping bag out of it. I use brass blanket pins because those were available back then. If there is a Hawthorn bush around, I'll use the long thorns off of that to hold it together, which is even more HC.

If I am camping at an event where they have straw, I'll put 8" of straw underneath it and then crawl in. As long as you have a good layer of straw it's not only comfortable, but also warm. I've slept out in the low 30's high 20's in that and not wanted to get out of the bedroll in the morning. that set-up keeps me warm and I don't have a backache when I wake up in the morning.

Now, if I don't have the straw available, I cheat. I'll put my full length Thermarest pad under the blankets and sleep on that just fine. You can hide that easily under the blankets so it still looks HC, but my old bones will still work in the morning. :wink:

Twisted_1in66:thumbsup:
Dan

Back