• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wood's walk target idea's ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curmudgeon74

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any unique wood's walk target idea's, looking to come up with some new ones for a shoot in April.

Thanks- :hmm:

You mean there is something besides all the obligatory gongs?

Cigarettes standing upright in shallow holes drilled in a beam.

Little toy fish hanging by magnet from a fishing line (hit the magnet or line and subtract points).

Charcoal briquets.

Moose nuggets on a string.

Split the ball on a double-bit axe to hit clay pigeons on either side.

Odd colored bowling pins mostly obscured by other pins.

Dangling lengths of chain.

Shoot through a length of pipe to break a clay pigeon.

Split playing cards edge-wise (glue several clothes pins to a board to hold them

shoot a ball between two steel plates about 1" apart to hit a swinger

a timed shot. One place I shoot at sometimes has a system where you drop a golf ball into a box with a series of down-angled boards through which the ball bounces. It takes about 5 seconds. You have to shoot a piece of re-bar at 20 yards before the ball gets to the bottom of the box.

My favorite woodswalk mixes other skills with the shooting.
Identify edible plants
Start a fire
Set a trap
Judge distance

Egg on a golf tee.

Suspending an old record from a string and having to either shoot the string or continually shoot the record until it falls to the ground.

Hawk throw.

Fire starting.

Shoot/ no shoot target. A target partially obscured by branches or other targets. If you decide not to shoot you get 0 points. If you shoot and hit the target you get 5 points. If you shoot and hit the blocking target/branch -5 points.

Swinging water bottles.
Different animal targets. Can time number of shots.
Animal and Bad Guy(pick one) targets. Must shoot the Bad Guy first after being lead to target area.
Outhouse shoot. Shooter is on a chair with gun set at their side then timed getting gun up and shooting at deer target.
On and on and on. :rotf:

Hang a pulley up about six feet and tie a length of string between a gallon jug (full of water) and a 4lb weight. The gallon jug will hold the weight suspended in the air. Shoot at the jug from 80 to 100 yds off hand. The idea is to have the weight hit the ground within 25 seconds of the first shot. A shot in the middle will usually take too much time for the water to flow out. A shot near the bottom will release enough water to drop the weight, a hole near the top won't. The reason for the time, is to allow a reload, if they can do it fast enough and still hit the jug. The group I saw do this, tied lead weight to the string which would fall on an oversize trip pan of a trap which had a flag attached to it's jaws, so when the trap sprang, the flag went up..

Cardboard forms of animals/humans with holes cut out for clay pidgons.

Espically good if used with a fort wall as cover and timed for speed and accuracy.

For night shoots, a plywood wolf head with yellow reflectors for eyes, have a partner shine a candle lantern at targets, when the eyes light up shoot. aim between the eyes.

We did a "pop up" bear once. Cardboard folded like an accordian that a window weight & fine fishing line to pull it up and had a tape recorded growl to go with it. Then the growls on the tape ran out and it popped up singing "Angel of the Morning".
Jon

20 years ago I put on a shoot called "The Bite 'Em Onna Ear Rifle Frolic". I wrote it up and Muzzle Loader published the story. We had popups, swinging arounds, silouettes etc. Many shot back with blanks. Some fired arrows or a spear (These riding on a wire). Had a charging bear with recording too. Had a barrel horse hung on springs to load and shoot from at a running boar. Used the claybird in targets.

Caught some flack from the "Safety Brigade". You know, the guys who worry about somebody getting a paper cut or sticking their finger with a staple while hanging targets. Fact is everything was done in proper manner and no one got hurt! Did have one guy who slipped while charging a target and fell on his rifle, Dyers.

Send me your e-mail and I'll send a newsletter article and a copy of the magazine one on how to make the targets we used if you like. You probably won't have time to set it up by April though.

[email protected]

a board with holes drilled in it alternating stick matches and feathers,break the stick or vane. one place i go has a twisted wire ball about the size of a basketball,with enough space in it that you can actually shoot clean though it. it hangs from a limb or something.

Swinging targets are always fun. Rig up a pendulum with a clay bird at the bottom. Run a string back to the shooter. Pull the string to get it to swing. Must shoot the clay bird in 4 or 5 swings or it's called a miss.

A real easy rattle box is to take a 6 or 7 foot long piece of 3/4" copper pipe and wrap it around a tree. Drop a .32 lead ball in the top and when it comes out it drops into a tin cup. You can adjust the speed of the ball by changing the angle of the copper pipe. The shooter starts primed but not cocked. Must put the ball in the rattle box, and then cock aim and fire before the lead ball hits the tin cup. This really messes with target shooters.

Many Klatch

great idea ozark but, then you'd see government video footage on cnn of "strangely dressed" terrorist militia training camps. :doh:

our club has what is called the knothole. its a square cone about a foot to 16" across the front down to 3" at the back. the front is covered by another piece of steel plate with a 3" hole in the center.you have to shoot through the hole to hit a flipper that covers the hole on the backside. if the flippers down you can see through the "knothole". no arguing a hit or not.

a heavy piece of wire fed thru a old garden hose...ya can bend it like a snake, hang it loosely between two trees,so the snake moves when..if hit,,i used one fer 3 woodswalks at the n'eastern last year held up great...paint fer plastic makes it look pretty cool too..teabags are good too...........either the bag,,or the tag,,lol..and holding the gun up sighted fer 30 seconds then shooting w/o dropping it down and within a certain amount of time,,like 5 seconds ..good luck,,it's sometimes more fun puttin them on than shootin them..

Last edited by a moderator:
We've come up with what might be considered a new one: The friend of mine who came-up with the idea calls it "Quigley Down Under", named after the movie. On a home-made target stand with a flat 2x4 laying horizontally cut 5 or six slots for heavy-duty cardboard. Each slot gets a clay bird glued to the cardboard at a slightly different height. Clay birds are facing you and a single projectile has to go through all six in a row at the various heights from 25 yards away. It's not as easy as it sounds since it requires a hunting charge instead of a powder-puff load to get through all 6 of the targets and cardboard backers. Partial credit for partial completeness and minus points for a miss.

My son used a 370 grain Maxi-Ball in front of 72 grains of 3Fg Goex and made the entire rack of 6 targets disappear to dust, as not even the cardboard was left in the slots! :shocked2: Lighter (weak) charges couldn't break all 6 targets, so you had to man-up and use a hunting charge, especially for round ball.

Yep, ol' Quigley was a crowd pleaser, especially for the bystanders! :)

Dave

Back