• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wooden Stock Options for a Traditions Percussion Deerhunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good day, been lurking on the forum for a while, but reached a point where research doesn’t seem to give up the answers. I have a Traditions Deerhunter 50 Caliber Percussion Sidelock that has a horrible black composite stock I’d love to replace. DeerCreek was looking for me for a replacement, but haven’t heard anything back yet. Does anyone know of a similar stock that might be a “ close “ drop in, or is Dixie Gun Works blank in my future?

You might try one of the stock suppliers such as Pecatonica River, Dunlap or Tiger Hunt to see if they have any suggestions.

Stocks from one of those suppliers would be a blank and you would have to carve it to fit your stock, You might have more expense in your stock than your rifle.

I would remain patient since Traditions is the main source for Deerhunter replacement stocks.
They sell Deerhunter kits and should have some extra stocks to satisfy warranty claims.

If you really need answers to your questions about stocks, then try contacting Traditions directly.
You can connect with a live person or email them.
They should be able to offer you a replacement stock from a kit or recommend another stock that will fit.
Their customer service rep's can be very helpful.
Their phone number is: 860-388-4656 --->>> Contact Us | TraditionsFirearms.com

How long have you been waiting to hear from Deer Creek?
Deerhunter stocks may also become available on eBay from time to time.

Using any other stock may be more trouble than it's worth because it's only a matter of time before a wood Deerhunter stock will become available.
Meanwhile you can post a want ad for a Deerhunter wood stock, and you can try offering your plastic stock as a partial trade towards one.

Last edited:
Having posted everything above, there's a Traditions Fox River Fifty stock for sale on eBay for $100 or best offer.
It may be a close matching stock but I don't have any way to verify it.
The Fox River stock did have a different barrel attachment method since it did not use a barrel wedge but was attached by a sling swivel screw under the forestock.
So holes for the wedge would need to be cut into the stock.
And the one for sale may or may not use the exact same tang for the hooked breech.
It looks similar but I don't know if yours would fit the exact inletting for it.
Or if the lock mortise had the exact same dimensions as your lock.
Or the barrel channel.
Everything could match up perfectly or it may not.
The Fox River and DeerHunter were very close models.
But it's a gamble and a risk when an exact matching Deerhunter stock might become available at any time.
Go to eBay and type the following eBay item number into their search box if you want to see the Fox River Fifty stock: --->>> 233240167423

Last edited:
Thanks Arcticap , all good information. I will try the Traditions number. Our Wisconsin deer season approaches, so local dealers may start accepting trades. Most Dealers near me do not do much for black powder, but a used complete may be an option as well. I just restarted shooting frontloaders after a 30 or so year absence, so upgrades will probably happen as well. This time open top colt reproductions are playing a part of my range time as well.

Someone asked this quest some years back. I have a CVA that was about the same but it has a button breach. I was able to swap stocks and the breech tang to make it fit with the exception, the tang was a little shorter so there was a small gap where the wood was it was inlet. I'll have to get into my safe and dig it out so I know which gun it was.

I checked and actually had it backwards. My Deerhunter has a wooden stock w/ plastic butt plate. My other rifle was a CVA Mountain Stocker w/ plastic stock. I would think a CVA Hawken Carbine wood stock would fit but don't really know for sure. Look for CVA/Traditions (made by same company) that have a 24 or 26" barrel.

Thanks for looking for me. I’ll see what I can find for an image search on the CVA Hawken. Years ago my first muzzleloader was a CVA Kentucky, I didn’t know about the CVA/Traditions connection. I know it would be easier just to get a different wood stock rifle, but other than the plastic stock, I really don’t have any complaints on the rifle. Briefly experienced one of those newfangled unmentionables, just didn’t seem or feel “right”

Thanks, that may be a temporary option. for me, the plastic “feel” just isn’t right, and I know the reasons for having a plastic stock in certain circumstances, but I kind of want to get away from the modern look and feel. Your suggestion may help with at least one of my hang ups while I continue to search.

At least the Deerhunter model has remained in production for all these years making many more wood stocks available, both new and used.

Last edited:
There was a deerhunter rifle for sale on this site just recently. I think it went for a hundred bucks. I always see stocks and stuff for sale on Ebay.

There's a Deerhunter stock with lock on eBay right now in great shape with 15 bids.
Just enter the eBay auction number into the eBay search box.
eBay item number: 233755802281

Latest posts

Back