• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wood from Bradford Pear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While that rifle looks beautiful, I would be happy to never have to deal with a Bradford Pear again. They stink, they grow very fast and limbs break in any decent storm. I was selling a house and the day before showing a Bradford pear fell and took out my fence. Lots of work to do that day… had 2 removed from my front yard at this house. The smell…. It seriously gave me headaches.

I'm finding the polar opposite perspectives here interesting. It certainly looks nice and those who have made items with it and like are showing some beautiful work.
I'm curious as to the differences in experiences with this wood.
Are there male and female trees like some other fruit and nut trees? Could this be a difference?
I don’t know that that’s an issue. Bradford pears are a cultivar of Callary pears (from China) which are supposed to be sterile but they aren’t, and their offspring revert to the older variety. That may have something to do with it.
Structurally, Bradford pears are weak in the crotches because of the angles at which the branches come out from the trunk. That’s why they’re always breaking in storms. Like Jim Kibler said, a bad tree made of good wood.
Jay

I don’t know that that’s an issue. Bradford pears are a cultivar of Callary pears (from China) which are supposed to be sterile but they aren’t, and their offspring revert to the older variety. That may have something to do with it.
Structurally, Bradford pears are weak in the crotches because of the angles at which the branches come out from the trunk. That’s why they’re always breaking in storms. Like Jim Kibler said, a bad tree made of good wood.
Jay
I second this.

Wow, I didn’t know this thread continued to go on. I just wanted to get some for knife handles but after I read the first comments I didn’t bother. I wish now that I had picked up a few pieces. Thank you all for your varying opinions. I guess you either love it or hate it with no middle ground. That was a really nice rifle Mr. Kibler

Last edited:
Wow, I didn’t know this thread continued to go on. I just wanted to get some for knife handles but after I read the first comments I didn’t bother. I wish now that I had picked up a few pieces. Thank you all for your varying opinions. I guess you either love it or hate it with no middle ground. That was a really nice rifle Mr. Killer.
Don't let experiences like mine discourage you. Hard-hard woods make good knife scales. I would consider using Bradford pear for that kind of project. But I flat out guarantee you I will never turn it again.

Wow, I didn’t know this thread continued to go on. I just wanted to get some for knife handles but after I read the first comments I didn’t bother. I wish now that I had picked up a few pieces. Thank you all for your varying opinions. I guess you either love it or hate it with no middle ground. That was a really nice rifle Mr. Killer.
If you’d like some Bradford pear for knife handles, let me know! I’ve got a bunch that’s been kiln dried.

Thank you for the kind offer but I have wood that I can use it’s just that I saw all that wood all cut up ready to be hauled to the dump and I hated to see it go to waste. The color reminded me of Osage orange.

Thank you for the kind offer but I have wood that I can use it’s just that I saw all that wood all cut up ready to be hauled to the dump and I hated to see it go to waste. The color reminded me of Osage orange.
It dont turn yellow like osage orange will. it is hard like it. To me it turns really nice with sharp tools.

This wood is pear, but not Bradford. Stained MinWax Jacobean.
1703041746974.jpeg

No experience working with it but spent 29 odd years in a neighborhood in Virginia that was loaded with them. Had two in my yards, one front and one back. My understanding is they soak up much more water than most other trees. This makes the branches heavier than normal and strains every part of the tree. Then all it takes is a good storm and branches start to peal off. I witnessed this on both my trees and after a good rain you actually see the branches sag under the new weight.

On the plus side they grow quite fast and a neighborhood full of the white bosoms can be rather impressive. They are pretty and fill out well. But they also need trimming. The first few branch from the trunk need to be trimmed off ASAP. This contributes to a stronger trunk and overall stronger tree.

Down side, the smell has been mentioned but I never found it offensive. Not something I'd want to smell all the time but not offensive either. Biggest downside is when you remove one. They simply refuse to die! I removed the one in our back yard 4-5 times. Ground the stump twice. Finally drilled a hole and poisoned it. The one out front we had the entire stump and about 5 foot of the roots dug up and removed. That just caused a couple of sprouts to show 6 plus feet from the stump.

BTW, I build model ships and have never used this wood. But I wouldn't turn down a stock made of it.

Hello, any one here have a chunk for a half stock? Maybe 32 inches or so, and maybe 10 inches wide? That would solve a problem for me. Thank you, Woodbutcher

Latest posts

Back