• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Winter Shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freedom

Pilgrim
Reaction score
20221222_100053.jpg
So how cold is too cold for you fellas to break out the flintlocks? I think I reached my threshold this morning..-37° F!
The wind chill said it was -53F LOL
Had to feed the livestock with a hand sled this morning. Sure is beautiful in Montana!

So how cold is too cold for you fellas to break out the flintlocks? I think I reached my threshold this morning..-37° F!
The wind chill said it was -53F LOL
Had to feed the livestock with a hand sled this morning. Sure is beautiful in Montana!
Coldest I have shot in my younger years (actually dumber years 😂 ) was -13. Now, if it is below freezing I prefer to decline.
Larry

I notice the spark isn't as hot when it gets down around 10 degrees, or at least I get more miss fires from the prime not igniting.

My friend up at Olney, Mt. had minus 50 this morning without wind chill added in.

I don't miss feeding cattle in the winter!
Do you think that there is a risk of breaking lock components when the temperatures are this cold?
I was hoping to shoot our December postal match target that I have printed out.
Snowshoe up to the range and build a little fire to keep my hands warm enough to load 10 shots.

Do you think that there is a risk of breaking lock components when the temperatures are this cold?
I was hoping to shoot our December postal match target that I have printed out.
Snowshoe up to the range and build a little fire to keep my hands warm enough to load 10 shots.
Cold weather can certainly weaken steel. Axe blades shatter when they get too cold.

Cold weather can certainly weaken steel. Axe blades shatter when they get too cold.
I was putting a front seal in a Allison Transmission at a coal mine up in Steamboat Colorado some years ago. -40 and was going to tap the seal in the front cover bore. Knew I screwed up as soon as I hit that seal...shattered. Also broke my 3/4 wrench that morning while tightening the bolts....snapped in half without any effort. Experienced actually temp of -54 in Maybell CO. that same year. Fun!

Last edited:
I am happy down to about 10F but will keep shooting all the way down to 0. I have poor circulation in my hands and feet and below zero I don't have much feeling and am not having any fun. The good thing is that below freezing I get the range to myself.

I recall trying the gear lever to see if tractor was in neutral to start and the rubber boot over the gear lever shattered.
Tractor was plugged in but it was 40 below.
Was minus 42 here a couple of days ago.
If no wind not bad, but get your hands wet and it can be!
These days I think about mainsprings when it's that cold.
An old neighbour froze his lungs when trying to feed cattle some years back. Tractor all tarped up and heated, but froze on him about 200 yards from the house.
Walking back home he froze his lungs and it was years before he got right.
it was minus 70F with the wind.
I wouldn't have gone shooting that day!
a lot of cattle froze standing up that winter.

-6 here in southern Indiana this morning. Don't think I'm going to the range.
Hiked in Missouri with a -8 air temp/-25 wind chill. As an assistant Scoutmaster we held our '93 winter Klondike Camp and it was about -5 air/-30 wind chill at night. If I recall correctly, it was the record for the coldest Klondike Camp for our Council.

Latest posts

Back