• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Williams' WGRS peep?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironwood

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been trying to find a receiver/peep sight that will work on my CVA Hawken. The tang on the CVA is so short I don't think the conventional tang sight would work on it. Williams has a receiver sight WGRS for an octagon barrel. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this sight.

In lieu of the Williams does anyone know of a peep sight that can be used on the CVA. I'm not real hot on the Ghost ring type sights and I would want the sight to be adjustable.

Thanks,
Ironwood

Ironwood, can't tell you anything about the Williams WGRS, but I can put you onto a peep that will probably work fine. It is a rather simple looking sight, totally adjustable for W & E, and much more PC (yes, they did have peeps back in those days) than the TC, Lyman, etc. sights available. It is on a long strap about a quarter inch wide that can be cut to suit your needs. Screws onto the barrel or on the tang in the case of a hooked breech. I have two of them and very satisfied. Have no trouble in fading light. Keep my groups nice and tight. Less expensive than the other aperture sights available. Made and sold by Dale Storey (Co-author with Sam Fadala of Blackpowder Hobby Gunsmithing). Located in Wyoming. I have misplaced his address, but I bet someone on this web could provide it. Good luck. Sam

Thanks Sam. I'm not all that interested in getting something that is PC, but I'm sure not against it either. :) I hope someone can give me a little more information on that sight. Thanks again.

Ironwood, Dale Storey's address can be found in the book that he co-authored. I'm on the road at the moment (Mexico), but when I return late March I can probably come up with it, if you havent gotten it yet. Alternatively, if you want to go real cheap or if you just like to tinker around with tools, I suggest a "cheap peep." Get a thumb screw and drill an appropriate size hole in the center. If you like, file or grind the thumb section to suit your tastes shape-wise. Drill and tap a hole to accept the thumb screw just behind the breech where the tang begins. Put a small lock nut on the screw and screw into the tapped hole in the tang. Sight in gun to get proper elevation by moving thumb screw up or down. When desired elevation of bullet placement has been found, tighten down lock nut. Windage has to be obtained by moving front sight to one side or the other. Sam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hey Sam, The thumb screw might just do the trick. I know a young gunsmith that might just like doing something like that. Thanks again.

Track of the Wolf has a peep mounted on a long strap to be mounted on rear of the barrel similar to Storey's.(might be the same) I put one on a caplock target rifle a few years ago. Both elevation and windage adjustable.

The Track of the Wolf and Storey peep sights are similar but the business end of the Storey sight is narrower and generally smaller. Looks less bulky sitting on your rifle.

Connelley.. Thanks for letting me know about the TOTW sight. They say that sight will take the Williams aperture and I have a couple extra of those. I don't really like the idea of having to take the sight off everytime I want to remove the barrel. However, I don't really remove the barrel all that often anymore. I'll have to compare the two sights to see which might work best.

Ironwood, finally got some info for you on the Storey peep. Address is DGS, Inc., 404 N. Jackson, Casper, Wy 82601. Phone (307) 2372414. Storey no longer makes this peep (a falling out with the guy that did the casting) but still has alimited supply on hand. Some are seconds (casting marks that do not affect the sight) and the price is $12.50 plus $1.50 S&H. That is a bargain. The last one I ordered, about 7 years ago cost around $35 if I remember correctly. I just ordered one because in the back of my mind I see the need for another rifle down the road. You know how that goes. Best, Sam :)

Sam... I had a nice conversation with Mr. Storey this afternoon. We came to the conclusion his peep sight would not work on the CVA Hawken. There is very little drop to the short 1-3/8" tang of the CVA. The TOTW sight would not work either for the same reason. Guess I'll just have to go with the Williams sight if I'm going to have a peep on the rifle.

I'd like to thank you all for your help. I'll let you know how the Williams sight works.

Tang_CVA_side.jpg

I use a WGRS Peep and like it alot, it's been all I have used for the last two years. Iv'e found the Twilight apeture is just the ticket to reduce eye fatigue at the range, and it also really helps to gather light during hunting hours. Good luck.

Fairchase... Thanks for the information. I ordered one from Cabela's yesterday. :)

Back