• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

why not the notch?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elmer was good but there is this young fella Jerry Miculek that could give him a run for his money. He likes revolvers also.
I think you might mean Ed McGivern (1873-1957, the premier speed shooter of his day. Makes me wonder what Ed could do with Jerry's guns.

Last edited:
Ask him! I am sure he has one.
I just want to hear what it sounds like when 6 Uberti Walker chambers stuffed with 60 grains get touched off in under 2 seconds

Plus the huge cloud of smoke

I'd let him use one of mine.....if it breaks then it died for a good cause :) the "Jerry Miculek snapped the mainspring and broke the bolt stop on this Walker" stories would be worth some replacement parts

Someone needs to send him an 1860…
Lol!!! I've done hundreds of them and they can all run like that! ( Remingtons and ROA's too!!). My favorite is the Dragoon.

I know everyone gets that "itch" now and then and some "scratch" that itch !! mine let you do it . . .

Mike

As a teen I carried a C&B for personal safety, but after 23+ years as a LEO I strongly advise against it.

I carried 3 different C&B revolvers while riding horse (and mule) back and while hunting, always using the notches for safety. Numerous times I've found both Colt and Remington copies moved where the hammer rested on a live cap, but never a discharge.

I also saw, with my own eyes, a day hand saddling a mount and his single action went bang when the stirrup leather fell and stirrup hit the hammer. He had a long painful ride 18 miles to the hospital, but he recovered.

It is hard to speculate about what they did BITD of C&B. I think most carried loaded full, because the dangers they faced pre-civil war days are hard to comprehend to modern folk. But there were some who left an empty chamber to rest the hammer on.

When the cartridge Colt arrived it had an inherent flaw, and more MAY have left an empty chamber. But it's hard to say with any certainty.

One thing I've learned from my days toting a badge; people do DUMB things with firearms.

Could a leather strap be used as a safety? Placed under the hammer preventing it from contacting the cap.

One thing I've learned from my days toting a badge; people do DUMB things with firearms.
That is true. The same sad thing can be said for a few cops, too. I have been privileged to use the local police shooting range. On a couple of occasions, I witnessed the annual qualification. Several shot poorly. One was so bad, it was hard to believe. She acted like she was afraid of her service gun. There are a few officers on the local force that indeed shoots very well. I used to work for a power company. I was there to check on a meter during the Brickeys prison qualifications. They were a lot better, and although they were using AR-15's their equipment looked well used. I hope they have a good armorer. Then there was the time I was at the local Federal Correction complex. Their rifles are much newer looking, and they have decent scopes.

Latest posts

Back