• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why is there no granulation size 6F ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Goex makes the following granulations:
1F
2F
3F
4F
5F

?????

7F
Meal
Fine Meal
Extra Fine Meal

Why no #6F ??????

Back about 1985 we used 6Fg in the National Park Service to make artillery frictiom primers. I don't remember who made the powder, but it was indeed 6Fg, which was like black flour.

Man...the MLF 'brain trust' just ain't what it used to be...doesn't ANYBODY know the answer to this?

Semisane said:
They do make 6F, but exclusively for the CIA. They're not allowed to talk about it. :wink:

Ahhhhhhhhh.....that must be it !!
:grin:

It is interesting that so far out of 152 views, nobody seems to know...

Finally heard back from Goex:

"...Dear Sir, Thank you for your inquiry.
Goex does not make 6f powder because there is no application for that SPECIFIC grain size that cannot be addressed by either 5f or 7f..."

According to The Chemistry of Gunpowder and Explosives, 6f powder is mentioned as being used at one point in fireworks and as a detonating powder.

I'd say that the difference between 5 and 6 and 6 and 7 were so small that there was no purpose in continuing that grade. The above book didn't state when 6f would have been discontinued and no other sources I've found mention anything. I figure that its lifespan was fairly short.

Maybe the guys who designate Air Force planes models worked for the powder makers FIRST! That why we had a B-49, and then a B-52, but no B-50, or 51! :hmm: :rotf: :thumbsup:

You may be onto something there! :grin:

That might explain the F-80, F-86, F-104 and then the F-15, F-16......And now we have the B-1 bomber! :rotf:

paulvallandigham said:
Maybe the guys who designate Air Force planes models worked for the powder makers FIRST! That why we had a B-49, and then a B-52, but no B-50, or 51!

Ahem.

Airforce Flight Test Center Gallery Homepage

Martin XB-51 Ground Attack Bomber

Length : 25.9m
Wing Span : 16.2m
Hight : 5.2m
Wing Area : 50.9 Sqare Meter
All-Up Weight : 25,393Kg
Empty Weight : 13,431Kg
Engine : General Electric J47-GE-13 Turbojet (2,360Kg) X 3
Max Speed : 1,038Km/h
Cluse Speed : 856Km/h
Range : 7,376Km
Service Ceiling : 12,352m
Crew : 2

LINK WEB PAGE
TTU: XB-51/XF-120 Photos
USAF Museum

Martin Martin B-51 Tandem-seat Tactical Bomber
(Proposal Design)

Length : 25.9m
Wing Span : 16.2m
Hight : 5.2m
Wing Area : 50.9 Sqare Meter
Engine : General Electric J47-GE-13 Turbojet (2,360Kg) X 3
Crew : 2

You boys sure got short memories... :shake:

tac

Actually, we have the B-2 bomber since the B-1 didn't cut it. I forgot. Anyhoo, weren't we talking about gunpowder? :yakyak:

Tac: I am also sure that there was a prototype B-50 bomber, too. That is how those numbers were assigned.

I was trying to make a little light humor about an issue that really doesn't matter to anyone, more than just curiousity. I suspect that any number for a plane that does not represent an existing, or past model that was actually put into production and used in our military air forces will be subject to being used on some future aircraft.

The first bomber that had a number that I ever heard or read about was the B-24. No one ever asked what happened to the first 23 models! I am sure that the companies that produced the bombers put such numbers on those earlier designs. They didn't find buyers for them, tho', so they designed new planes to see if the next ones would sell. Before and during WWII, fighter planes were designated with a " P " in front of their model number. Bombers got a " B ". When jets came out after WWII( actually they were being developed throughout the war) they were given the "F" designation for fighter. The F-80 " Saberjet" is the first American Jet fighter that I recall ever seeing, or reading about. I know there were earlier models.

I also know that they make 5Fg powder, but Have never seen any for sale, and haven't a clue why anyone would buy it. Since I made my first Bomb with powder scraped from unexploded firecrackers carefully recovered on the Morning of the Fifth of July over several years, together with powder from unfired .30-06 blank rifle cartridges gathered from the parade routes, I am well aware of the " dust " that is 7Fg powder. I don't have any use for it either, unless I wanted to make a fuse with the stuff.

If there is 5F and 7F wouldn't that actually make the 7F a 6F? Think of it like that.

-----how many on here would buy 6f Goex if it was available?----- :shake: :shake: :shake:

Back