• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why doesn't patch lube hurt the powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperbelly

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Patch lube is moist, so why, when seating a prb, doesn't it contaminate the powder charge?

Jim

I think it all bepends on how much you use and weather its a cream or liquid type, a patch that is only damp with lube will only affect the powder it comes in contact with the patch, where a patch that has a lot of lube (liquid type) can most likely run through the powder a bit.

Remember we are shooting black powder,5grs will not vary much. Smokless is differnt ball game. I use deer tallow for lube.No problem. Get some hornest material and put some on top of powder if you want to keep the powder dry, then the patched ball. Dilly

When shooting a lot of shots per session, a wet lube doesn't bother the powder much but keeps my bore clean for the next loading. In a hunting situation where that same load may be in the gun for weeks, I either use a more solid lube or an over powder wad to prevent the powder from being contaminated over the lifetime of the load.

It does. The longer the patch remains in contact the more the lube leeches into it. There is actually only a grain or so in contact (pull a ball and see what is stuck yo the bottom if it). I add a vegetable fiber wad between patched ball and powder for my hunting loads (that may be in place a week or more). Everyone uses a different lube and different amount, and some lubes are runnier than others, so some see less of a problem.

Back