• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who made this lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a Griffith Tool Co Hawken lock. It's patterned after a style used on some J&S Hawken rifles.

I know nothing of them, but found this quote on another forum:

"Griffith's machinery was bought by the present owners of The Hawken Shop in Oak Harbor, WA. "

Cowboy said:
I appreciate the reply and for answering my question as well. Can you give me a little history on them?
In answer to your question, they appear to have started making the locks in 1977. Here is piece of John Baird's column from the Nov 1977 issue of Buckskin Report introducing the new component parts from Griffith Tool Co.

77_11%20BR%20Giffith%20Tool%20Co%20-%20new%20product_zpscbi76u7p.jpg

This is an ad from the Nov-Dec 1977 issue of Muzzleloader magazine.

77_11-12%20ML%20Griffith%20Tool%20Co%201st%20ad_zpsv64poukv.jpg

Another ad from May 1981 issue of Buckskin Report.

81_05%20BR%20Griffith%20Tool%20Co%20ad_zpsujn6bn3h.jpg

They expanded the line a bit by adding breech plugs for flint rifles in this Jan-Feb 1986 ad from Muzzleloader. Note they also offered a second hammer for the lock. Basically, the same hammer that Ron Long sometimes used on his Hawken lock.

86_01-02%20ML%20Griffith%20Tool%20Co%20ad_zpsm7ryulpw.jpg

As excess650 posted, Griffith's tooling is presently owned by the folks that run The Hawken Ship in Oak Harbor, WA. It had passed through at least one other company before The Hawken Shop.

I've seen postings on various forums that some people have found some Griffith Tool Co./Hawken Shop locks with weak mainsprings. This has not been my experience. Locks that I've acquired from both companies have strong mainsprings and function just fine.

As I stated before, the Griffith lock with the radius or curved corner where the lock bolster meets the nose of the lock is patterned after locks on some J&S Hawken rifles like this one.

IMG_0167.jpg

Their breech plug was also meant to represent a style often seen on J&S Hawken rifles, such as the one pictured above, but it needs some additional filing and shaping of the snail to be a little more convincing.

tac said:
Adui said:
Tac, the link dont work

Alopogies- try this -
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=13504.0

tac
tac,

Your not going to be able to get it to work. This forum doesn't allow hyperlinks to the other ML forums. It searches the hyperlink for key words such as "americanlongrifles" and removes them from the URL.

The best way to see the other thread is to go to that forum and do a search on the thread number 13504.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! That is called " Ask and you will receive!! " After checking out the information you've posted I feel like I've obtained an educational degree! :haha:

I may have started the topic, but you brought it to life and made it a learning experience for everyone!

Thank you my friend, It's much appreciated :thumbsup:

Respectfully, Cowboy

Cowboy said:
Thank you my friend, It's much appreciated :thumbsup:
You're welcome, Cowboy.

Now, how about some pictures of the rifle that goes with the lock?

My guess, based on the lock and the barrel, is that it might have been made in the 1980's. Are there any other markings to indicate who might have built it?

I'll send ya some pics of it tomorrow when I can take good ones outside. Yes, I'd say it was probably built sometime in the 70's to 80's time frame? The only markings are the Douglas xx barrel and the lock which was discussed in this topic. Looks to be built to represent a Hawken style Plains rifle. Stock is maple. All furniture is steel. Double wedges, german silver front in copper base. Rear is fixed semi buckhorn. Barrel is 31" with what I guess to be from somewhere between 1:70-1:75 twist. It's solid built and clean. Nice muzzleloader. Will send ya pics tomorrow and maybe you can give me additional information on it?
Respectfully, Cowboy

Latest posts

Back