• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

who jug chokes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I have several .50 renegades with bad bores. I am considering having them bored smooth to 20 ga or 16 ga. with jug chokes. Does anyone know who might do this type work? Perhaps someone who has had a barrel bored and choked could provide some insight. Thanks for any help.........MRM

ramblin man said:
Hi, I have several .50 renegades with bad bores. I am considering having them bored smooth to 20 ga or 16 ga. with jug chokes. Does anyone know who might do this type work? Perhaps someone who has had a barrel bored and choked could provide some insight. Thanks for any help.........MRM

Lowell Jugged two GM .62cal Flint smoothbore barrels for me...don't know if hre can do the boring too but if he has a machine shop seems like he light be able to...if not, he probably knows who can.

Lowell Tennyson
209 E Lotte St.
Blue Grass IA. 52726
563-381-3711
[email protected]

Give Lowell a call...he doesn't have a website

if someone was going to have that process done would it not just be as easy to have the gun fitted for something like a remington choke tube so you had more options? THis is something I really know nothing about both what it takes to bore out a rifle barrel accurately and JUG CHOKING> how are they different than a remington shotgun choke tube.

IMHO, jug choking is just plain ideal for a muzzleloader. You don't have that restriction that modern chokes have, which makes it a PIA to load a muzzleloader.

The Jug Choking process is from the past...modern chokes are modern, not traditional.

I had Lowell choke one .62cal at "Full" for a Turkey, Trap, tall tree shots at squirrels, etc, and it's outstanding...took a couple turkeys this spring at 40 & 30 yards with head shots.

Had him choke another barrel to Imp. Cyl. PLUS (between an I.C. and a modified) for general purpose small game, doves, crows, etc.

And as DaveK mentioned, it doesn't change the ability to load bore size wads like the physical constriction of a modern choke does...ie: a lubed cushion wad that gets compressed being pushed through a modern full choke tube, would not then be a tight fit and not give a tight seal in the cylinder size bore behind the modern choke.

roundball said:
The Jug Choking process is from the past...modern chokes are modern, not traditional.
quote]
I can't agree with the notion that jug choking is "more traditional" than taper chokes. There is some disagreement as to who invented the choke bore and exactly when but there is no doubt that W.W.Greener brought the process to perfection in the eighteen-seventies. Once people saw the great improvement possible with choke boring there was naturally a clamor to find some way to get choke bore patterns from barrels originally cylinder bored. Jug choking was developed to meet that demand, so I would say it is a newer process than the taper choked bore. It certainly does offer advantages in a muzzleloader. I just finished jugs in both barrels of a cylinder bore Pedersoli 12 ga. and got 60% patterns from the right barrel and 70% left on my first test with 3 1/4 drams of 2f and 1 1/8 ounce of #4 shot. That is modified and full. I'll probably open the right just a bit and go for 50% in the right barrel as I find improved cylinder choke to be more useful in my type of hunting. I had to invent and build a reamer for jug choking the 12 ga., next is to make a tool for 20s. :grin:

I don't know anything about dates that fixed tapered chokes were invented...but this is post that I was responding to:

"...would it not just be as easy to have the gun fitted for something like a remington choke tube so you had more options?..."

my 2 part question simply was what is a jug choke,(how do they work or what do they look like) and would you have more options in a barrel with a choke tube that you unscrew similar to a modern choke like what is on a modern shotgun or a TC New Englander shotgun barrel. I was seeking information not trying to start a traditional vs non traditional debate.

buttonbuck said:
my 2 part question simply was what is a jug choke,(how do they work or what do they look like) and would you have more options in a barrel with a choke tube that you unscrew similar to a modern choke like what is on a modern shotgun or a TC New Englander shotgun barrel. I was seeking information not trying to start a traditional vs non traditional debate.
No one took your question to be trying to start such a debate...the answer to your question included the fact that it is desirable to some to have something more traditional than a modern interchangeable screw in choke system...ie: Jug Choking was available in earlier times, screw in choke systems were not...that's not starting a debate, it's just explaining.
In the same vein, I don't use modern plastic shot cups in smoothbores...they weren't available back then either.
:thumbsup:

Coyote Joe, interesting, can you explain how you 'jugged' these barrels? Maybe some pics of your hone? Specs on how much barrels were opened to produce what chokes or I should say choking patterns? Any info is appreciated......thanx....Ed

Roundball, thanks for the info on Lowell Tennyson, I'll call him. I've been turkey hunting for years with a 130 year old Williams s/s 12 ga. I had it sleeved so I can shoot #5 Hevi shot ( I know not PC), but it will 'jelly' their heads and still break their legs out from under them at 40 yds. Just right for those old birds that hang up at that range. By the by, did you ever find that T/C Hawken .54 flint stock you were looking for? I let one get by me on ebay the other day that was really nice, solid fiddlestick end to end...Ed

ramblin man said:
By the by, did you ever find that T/C Hawken .54 flint stock you were looking for? I let one get by me on ebay the other day that was really nice, solid fiddlestick end to end...Ed
No...wish I'd seen that one...I did pickup up a complete used .54cal caplock Hawken in excellent shape just to get it's stock even though the whole rifle is a caplock, but would rather have a stock with above average figure in it like you described.

PS:
My full choke .62 throws an excellent turkey head pattern at 40yds with #6 magnum shot...I got a 10 lb bag of "copper plated" #6s to try after deer season and see if I can get that same tight pattern another 5 yards further out...so far I'm having luck with turkeys calling them to a field with a Jake and a few hen decoys...different than having them appear at 20 yards in the woods...this past spring was a thrill...first turkeys ever and with a Flintlock at that...rather have those two with a Flintlock than 50 with a Remington 1187 or something
:thumbsup:

Back