• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

White Lightning touch hole liner & fouling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MJMarkey said:
The first time at the range with one of my rifles I had a problem with the TH clogging. When I tried to pick it my pick did not fit in the TH.
I called Chambers Locks and spoke to Jim. He told me that my WL liner was not one of his. Since he never patented the liner copies are out there, and the hole is VERY small.

He told me his TH are almost 1/16" But he opens them to 1/16" for all his rifles. The larger diameter gives reliable ignition.

So if that is the advice from the guy who invented the thing, that's what I do on all my TH's.

Ocasionally in very humid weather I'll get a fouling problem but usually flawless firing.

I only buy my White Lightening TH's from Chambers now.

(emphasis added)

wow- I didn't know that ... i'll get my liners straight from the source ... I have used White Lightnin' liners in the past and have had very good results ... they all came from (if I remember correctly) Track of the Wolf ... I presume that TotW sources them from Chambers ...

I have Jim Chambers Whitelightning vent liners in all four of my Flintlocks.bought straight from Jim. I have never had the above mentioned problems.

As previously mentioned you can swab after the powder or ball is loaded. After having experienced some misfires in a rifle of mine with a White Lightning I use the following methods depending on loading procedure:

1. Load the powder, short start the ball, place a damp patch over the muzzle and ram the ball down with a jag-tip ramrod. Reverse the moist patch if the bore is exceedingly dirty and finish with a dry patch.

2. Load the powder, load a wad or filler, swab with a moist patch followed by a dry, load the ball.

Both methods prevent fouling from accumulating into the flash hole. The same loading method is used by small-bore percussion rifle shooters (Gibbs-Metford, Whitworth, Kerr and the like) to avoid pushing fouling into the flash channel. Some swab before loading, but then often resort to snapping a cap or two to open the flash channel. For target shooting I tend to use method #2 with semolina as a filler to protect the patch.

Back