• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Sight for GPR?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surge223

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Friend took me out this past weekend and I fired his .50 GPR about 50 times. Needless to say, I am ordering my own GPR tomorrow (my first BP).

Problem is, I didn't care much for the stock sights. What recommendations do any of you have? I may be shooting competion, but 100 yards off-hand is hard!

Lyman puts a set of hunting sights on their Deerstalker that has a white bead up front, and a folding leaf rear. I used a Deerstalker for years and when I got a new Trade rifle last winter, I ordered a set for it. Go to the Lyman web site and have a look.

First off, welcome :hatsoff: . I have two .54 GPRs. The percussion has the factory adjustable rear sight and the flint has the factory fixed rear sight. Your new rifle should come with both. I personally like the fixed sight. It looks good, gives me a good sight picture and you never have to worry about it being knocked out of adjustment. By the way, check out DNR Sports before you order. They have the best prices on the net. Here's their link: http://www.dnrsports.com/ . Good luck and have fun shooting :thumbsup: .

Last edited by a moderator:
I travel a lot to hunt.I always take my .54 GPR as a back up/rainy day gun.

Truth be known, it has a Lyman peep sight on it and a fiber optic front sight.

@ 115 yds, with a rest it is deadly accurate.

With standard primitive sights, matched with 60 year old eyes - 65 yds is about max. for me.

You might want to check the peep out- It works for me.

A search on this subject will lead to some interesting reading.

Let me add my welcome.

Lyman provides two rear sights with the GPR, as cowpoke1955 says. They both work with the provided blade front sight. One is an adjustable leaf type and the other is a simple fixed sight. They also make an optional aperture sight, the 57GPR, that mounts on the tang and is finely adjustable in both windage and elevation. It works with either the blade front sight or a globe front sight, the 17AEU.

I sure back you up on the peep sight and fiber optic front sight cptleo. :thumbsup: I've got terrible "old eyes" (63), and might as well take the sights off completely if I didn't have the peep and fiber.

The peep sight that cptleo and smokehouseman refer to is the same one I called an aperture sight, the 57GPR. I have not tried it with the fiberoptic front sight, but I would imagine the two would be a great combination, like they said.

I have the lyman peep sight and globe target front sight. Very accuate for 100 target shooting.

I found the fixed rear sight on the LGP to work well after I thinned down the front blade, as the eyes got older I just move the rear sight forward on my rifles, of late I just got rid of it and shoot a fusil with front sight only.

Surge,

Good insights from all as to what sight to get if the factory sights are not to your liking, and I would second them all. The only fly in the ointment would be if you are planning to shoot any competition shoots at rendezvous and such. Most of those don't allow fiber optics and peeps. If you are just getting the gun for your own fun and hunting use, anything that suits you will be what to get. A lot of folks complain about the factory sights on the GPR, myself I like them and use them on both the .50 and the .54.

BTW - The best price I've seen on the GPR is at MidSouth Shooters Supply . . .

i am with you i like the stock sights on the gpr. i use them for matches. i even bought the rear adj. one and put it on my underhammer for matches.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I plan on shooting competion and most of the matches call for open sights, but not all. I would like to go with the peep sight, but that may not be practical.

I will get the barrel broke-in first, then I may start filing the front sight to make it more narrow. Thanks for that tip! If I still have trouble, I may go with the peep and front fiber optic.

Latest posts

Back