• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which replacement ramrod?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can buy a bundle of blanks and it saves on shipping, the good ones are a couple of bucks apiece, tips are 3 or 4 dollars and jags are a couple of dollars. You can scrape them to size in an hour or so then sand them smooth
The resin is a waste of cash, it won’t make a poor rod stronger.

Robert J.
I am still using the same RRs I made in the 70s. I do use a aluminum cleaning rod if I am submerging a barrel in water for an extra clean. Getting good straight hickory and and and and using properly is a major key.
Flintlocklar
:hatsoff:

Ive owned several pedersoli as has my brother, I dont know what they use but they are manure, we busted them all the first couple times out. Took the tips off and put them on good hic!ory rods and never a problem

i use the msn super rods for loading and cleaning. have one I bought in 85 still gong strong. used it the whole time we had matches everywhere. would shoot in two 50-60 shoots every week.

I would get a good hickory rod to carry with the rifle when hunting. Then get one of Track's stainless range rods with a brass muzzle protector to use while on the range and for cleaning/pulling balls.

Forrest, you are good! I have that exact rod coming on Thursday! I think I'm going to get a hickory rod also for hunting. I'll use my stock one until I can get one ordered. Thanks everyone for the help

I agree. I have a new hickory ramrod from TOW on my .50 Renegade after breaking off the old rod into the base of my thumb 3 months ago. Extremely painful and has affected my dominant hand and thumb, plus, it bled like hell and I had a heck of a time getting it to stop.
The hickory is for show now or if I decide to go deer hunting again. I use a three-piece heavy duty range rod or a one-piece steel rod on my gun bench. I don't EVER want to break a wood rod off again, but I would never carry a resin rod on my rifle. But, to each his or her own.

Flintlock season opens the day after Christmas here in PA. My primary rifle broke, and I was forced to use my back up big long flintlock. Anyway I break the wooden ramrod on Christmas eve, so none of my rods fit this big long beast. So I called every shop and they did not have a ramrod to fit. I went to Lowes and got a fiberglass rod used to mark driveways for snow plowing. I fastened the brass ends to the new rod and it works great. It was a tiny bit small in diameter so I put shrink tube where is sits in a pipe. Unbreakable ramrod on Christmas eve for 3 bucks got me to the first day of hunting. I actually don't intend on a replacement, this emergency rod is great, and I have another spare in the garage.

I'm not a fan of fiberglass ramrods. Fiberglass can be very abrasive.

Guess which ramrod protector was used on a 3/8" fiberglass rod for about 6 months and which one is used on my 3/8" brass rod after about 20 years.

36017725640_baa87f40eb_z.jpg

I bought a hickory board at my local lumber store and make my own - Takes about an hour with planes, scrapers and sandpaper.

I would not put a fiberglass stake anywhere near the bore of ANY gun...

SgtMaj said:
I agree. I have a new hickory ramrod from TOW on my .50 Renegade after breaking off the old rod into the base of my thumb 3 months ago. Extremely painful and has affected my dominant hand and thumb, plus, it bled like hell and I had a heck of a time getting it to stop.
The hickory is for show now or if I decide to go deer hunting again. I use a three-piece heavy duty range rod or a one-piece steel rod on my gun bench. I don't EVER want to break a wood rod off again, but I would never carry a resin rod on my rifle. But, to each his or her own.

Sad to hear that happened. Our avocation does come with it's risks. Glad it wasn't much worse. I use hickory/wood as seldom as possible for just that reason. I won't be doing ronny anymore so may never use one again.

Rifleman1776 said:
I use hickory/wood as seldom as possible for just that reason. I won't be doing ronny anymore so may never use one again.

You still make the best looking jag I ever saw....Which is kind of ironic, since you won't use a wooden ramrod, but you will use a wooden jag... :haha: :hatsoff:

My own fault, I should have known better. Rod I broke was at least 25 years old and I had ordered a new 3-piece heavy brass range rod, but I got antsy wanting to shoot some BP, and tried to force a PRB down the barrel without swabbing in between the 7th and 8th shots of the day and boom. It's healed up nicely and I have about 95% full use of the thumb now. You're right, it's one of the hazards. By the way, my new range rod came in the mail the next day. I just couldn't pass up a nice day to shoot. :doh:

Colorado Clyde said:
Rifleman1776 said:
I use hickory/wood as seldom as possible for just that reason. I won't be doing ronny anymore so may never use one again.

You still make the best looking jag I ever saw....Which is kind of ironic, since you won't use a wooden ramrod, but you will use a wooden jag... :haha: :hatsoff:

"ironic"? Thanks, polite word. :wink:
It does seem counter-intuitive to my philosophy regarding rods. But, jags and muzzle protectors do not have a tendency to break and jam through ones flesh. I like the wood jags because I like making stuff I can use by myself. They can be made to exact size I need. BTW, those I have posted are made from hard maple. Other hard woods, like Osage Orange or any of the rosewoods would work well also. I don't claim they are better than others, I just like making my own 'stuff'.

There are lots of good reasons to make a ramrod out of a material other than wood...Especially range rods.
But, I hate to see people dismiss wood outright.

First is starts with a ramrod, then it the fixed sights, then its the percussion caps, then it's the wood stock, then it's a blue, brown or white barrel.....Pretty soon you don't have a muzzleloader anymore.... :shake:

Colorado Clyde said:
There are lots of good reasons to make a ramrod out of a material other than wood...Especially range rods.
But, I hate to see people dismiss wood outright.

First is starts with a ramrod, then it the fixed sights, then its the percussion caps, then it's the wood stock, then it's a blue, brown or white barrel.....Pretty soon you don't have a muzzleloader anymore.... :shake:

I have an idea for a new kind of rifle. I call it 'bolt action'. :shocked2: :rotf:

https://goodwinds.com/

They have lots of options, fiberglass solid/tubes, carbon fiber. Some have concerns about fiberglass damaging the bore.

One might try a metric 9mm size and cover it it with shrink tubing. That should come out real close to 3/8".

I was going to place an order but went with a 12 pack of hickory rods and made a steel range rod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back