• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which hawk?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ames said:
A lot of us buy them just to throw, and don't care at all of being PC. :slap:

True, but irrelevant, given that the question under review just now is whether frankiskas ever made it to the Rocky Mountains.

Stophel said:
"But, but, they're sold by the dealers! They must be historically correct, right???"

The perfect example of why everyone needs to do their own research. And by research I mean actually doing the legwork. Looking things up and searching and digging and reading and yes, spending the vast amount of time and money required, and studying them for yourself. NOT "hey, guys, I sure like this (item x), is it correct?" Internet questions are good for pointing people in the right direction, but never take what so-and-so says as "documentation". :wink:
This is why I recommend that someone use their Library card 100-times more than their Credit card. Helps save a considerable amount of $$ too...

Elnathan said:
Sooter76 said:
stancarlson62 said:
These guys have many options. Many are not correct for a mountain man but darn the look nice

I think 'correct' is somewhat subjective... Axes and tomahawks are robust and except for the handles, built to last. I find it inconceivable that what would commonly today be thought of as period incorrect would never have be seen among mountainmen. They may not have been as common as camp axes, but I'm sure Franciscan's and other tomahawks were carried by some.

If by "Franciscans" you mean frankiskas, I find it inconceivable that they would have been used. First, they date to AD 250 up through maybe AD 600 or so, e.i, they dropped out of use a thousand years earlier. Second, they weigh a tone for their size and were specialized throwing axes, thrown before closing in with spears and swords and probably intended to disrupt an enemy formation prior to impact.

I very much doubt that a weapon that fell out of use prior to the Viking Age found its way to the Rocky Mountains.

I can't find a reference to frankiskas, are you referring to
"Franciscas"?
Listed under "Ranged Weapons" here-

http://www.medievalwarfare.info/weapons.htm#franciscas?

rdstrain49 said:
Elnathan said:
Sooter76 said:
stancarlson62 said:
These guys have many options. Many are not correct for a mountain man but darn the look nice

I think 'correct' is somewhat subjective... Axes and tomahawks are robust and except for the handles, built to last. I find it inconceivable that what would commonly today be thought of as period incorrect would never have be seen among mountainmen. They may not have been as common as camp axes, but I'm sure Franciscan's and other tomahawks were carried by some.

If by "Franciscans" you mean frankiskas, I find it inconceivable that they would have been used. First, they date to AD 250 up through maybe AD 600 or so, e.i, they dropped out of use a thousand years earlier. Second, they weigh a tone for their size and were specialized throwing axes, thrown before closing in with spears and swords and probably intended to disrupt an enemy formation prior to impact.

I very much doubt that a weapon that fell out of use prior to the Viking Age found its way to the Rocky Mountains.

I can't find a reference to frankiskas, are you referring to
"Franciscas"?
Listed under "Ranged Weapons" here-

http://www.medievalwarfare.info/weapons.htm#franciscas?

Depends on whether you are using the Germanicized spelling or the Latinized spelling. I've seen it both ways.

Elnathan said:
Sooter76 said:
stancarlson62 said:

Way to miss the forest for the tree... The point was and is, some of the belt axes and tomahawks that were common along the eastern seaboard in the 17th and 18th Century's probably found their way to the Rocky Mountains in limited numbers.

One of the deals that impacts today's hawks and is we like to throw. Looking at list and arch.site is the more modern shaped that isn't a good thrower. Plus it's just not as sexy looking. Nor is it as fun to show the tourist since it just looks like something from the hardware store.
I often thought a Viking ax would be handy in the tall timber. I don't use one since Vikings in the ozarks were few and far between. So I don't use one, and I got to say I don't throw much any more.
Now time was I was awful proud in the early 80s to look that that ol boy above. Always wanted one of them Frankish styled axes. Never got one, don't know for sure why, but had I got one I reckon yeas ago it would end up on a blanket shoot or hanging on a wall. Still today I think they are awful cute. I spent more then once missing Bill Tyler.

Latest posts

Back