• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which blackpowder substitutes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some (not me...yet) its the fact the pocket book will only finance a pound at a time, cant swing 3 lbs. So internet order for 1 lb plus haz mat = Pyrodex :surrender:

Audi.... have you tried Bass Pro in Mesa? THEY HAVE IT. I had the daughter grab me a pound a few months ago and last Christmas while shopping I asked and they even had 1F :shocked2: If the counter help says no ask for a manager...they have it.

Even at 1# i have to pay the hazmat to ship it. Hence why I dont order. Once I do get into flinters, I will (hopefully) be able to source it buy arranging or joining a group buy.

Either way for now it really is a non issue with me as I like the powder I use. for the $$ I spend its just plain great. The ONLY reason for me to switch to real black is because I bought a flinter - when that day comes I will.

The comment that that excuse was just an excuse just sort of got under my skin is all.

Western National Rendevouz is in Phoenix I believe this week. Hike up your skirt and go get a couple o pounds o Goex. Western National Shoot is at Creede Co in July. Other gatherings around the country will have vendors.

Use whatever you like that's safe and affordable. It's not a litmus test, it's a hobby. I've got substitutes, bp, and 777 (which I've not shot) and so long as it puts a ball downrange, I'm a happy guy.

Took a bit of looking to be honest but:

The
Western National Shoot put on by the NMLRA Feb 27th to march 5th this year at Ben Avery Shooting range north of Phoenix AZ.

I know there is another one later in the year at Rio Salado as well (South eastern valley Mesa AZ a Phoenix Metro area) I just couldn't find info on it

I have a Cherokee, in .32 cal. When I got the rifle, I knew it was pitted, but because they are so rare, I got it thinking I might rebore it to .36

Fowling made the rifle impossible to load, due to small ram rod and pitting. That's when I discovered Black MZ. With the Black MZ, the little rifle shoots as good as my .36 Seneca which has a perfect barrel.

Since then, I use the Black MZ, in all my small caliber rifles. Save the real for my large bores and flintlocks. I also use Black MZ in cap lock pistols and real black in my flintlock pistols.

Works.....for me.

Latest posts

Back