• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which 1858 Remington to get

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. So I'd suggest the large-frame 1858 by Pietta (I have one, and it's great) which I got from Dixie.
Me too. And spare chambers are not too expensive either. Pietta seem to have come close to Uberti regards quality control these days, so if you want to save a few dollars and put up with the stamping on the side of the barrel I'd go with this.

Here's the real deal best Remington and best 1860's ever made.
Two Santa Barbaras with a centennial centaur in the center

Attachments

• IMG_20240507_124419.jpg
    IMG_20240507_124419.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Here's the real deal best Remington and best 1860's ever made.
Two Santa Barbaras with a centennial centaur in the center

I've seen enough comments up and down about Centaurs so, they definitely aren't lol. My only Santa Barbara had a bore / chamber misalignment that couldn't be fixed so nada . . .
The best '60's were the originals, all else are reproductions.

I've seen enough comments up and down about Centaurs so, they definitely aren't lol. My only Santa Barbara had a bore / chamber misalignment that couldn't be fixed so nada . . .
The best '60's were the originals, all else are reproductions.
You got a lemon on that Santa mike. Luckily for myself I've not ran into any lemons from Santa or centaur.
This one centaur from 1959 is very special though. It feels totally different from the centaur made thousands of sn#'s later.
I do agree nothing beats a original, wish I still had my navy but so eone else wanted it more then I did at the time

Attachments

• IMG_20240508_104309.jpg
    IMG_20240508_104309.jpg
    868.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240508_104335.jpg
    IMG_20240508_104335.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Both Uberti and Pietta are good but slightly larger than the original Beals design. Uberti has the ugly warning stamps hidden under the rammer. Pietta has them on the barrel sides, but easily ignored as I have both.😉
Conversion cylinders are easily swapped making the platform very versatile.

Both Uberti and Pietta are good but slightly larger than the original Beals design. Uberti has the ugly warning stamps hidden under the rammer. Pietta has them on the barrel sides, but easily ignored as I have both.😉
Conversion cylinders are easily swapped making the platform very versatile.
Uberti makes a fine 1858 but so does pietta

I agree, just wish the warning stamps would be less in your face.
Just to show this is a uberti 2023 model. I hear a lot about quality decline and I will admit I've gotten several open top lemons from uberti this year. But this 1858 turned out to be cream of the crop

Edited pic

Last edited:
Blackpowderwarrior be careful, they'll remove the whole thread because there's a pic of a cartridge gun.
I can just mention wedges and the absence of a Colt supplied feeler gauge and they take that as some kind of clue.

Mike

What is the price
I don’t like to post prices on FB anymore, as the AI algorithms often flag a post about pew pews and a price as sales.
Let’s say about twice what it costs for a Uberti INOX Stainlesd Steel one. That is for the matte black one that Midway had in stock. The Stainless steel one is north of that even.

Back