• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which 1858 Remington to get

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None of them are truly historically accurate, so the choice is Pietta or Uberti (I believe all the other ones with tags aka Cimeron are one or the other)

I am inclined to a Uberti and if the appearance of stamping stuff is a factor they are under the barrel. There is quite a difference in barrel twist between the two mfgs and the Uberti Walker has been more accurate by quite a bit than the 58 Pietta, despite it being a non historic target model.

And others may have a great shooting Pietta, so coin flip but the Uberti is a lot more sublte about the stampings if that is important to you.

I don't care, I have a Ruger Old Army that is totally non correct per BP of the old days. But I like it a lot and its got that awful warning stamping on the barrel. So far not quite as accurate as the walker (I have gotten sub some just under 2 inch groups with it at 25 yards. I am still playing with loads for the ROA.

Both shoot left to right centered which is a nice plus vs the Pietta that did not without major adjustments to max right side of the rear slot.

Last edited:
None of them are truly historically accurate, so the choice is Pietta or Uberti (I believe all the other ones with tags aka Cimeron are one or the other)

I am inclined to a Uberti and if the appearance of stamping stuff is a factor they are under the barrel. There is quite a difference in barrel twist between the two mfgs and the Uberti Walker has been more accurate by quite a bit than the 58 Pietta, despite it being a non historic target model.
Extra cylinders for the Remington are difficult to come by and are pricey. But I like my Uberty anyway.

Well that is new brand to me.

I have a couple of Uberti Cylinders on order for the Walker but out of stock right now. I can wait as I am going to have to make caps unless they suddenly show up.

Last edited:
I was thinking of getting an 1858. Who make the most historically accurate reproduction in comparison to an original?
Would not call any current production particularly historically accurate to an original if you are going to be exceptionally discriminating. For wall hanging looks, probably a Uberti. For actual shooting shooting without excessive interventions, I’d go with Pietta. If you are planning modifying to your satisfaction/specifications, dealer’s choice. Just one person’s opinion.

I like Uberti because they put the BP warnings on the underside of the barrel.

Great quality, too!

8FA1B635-5792-4613-BAF1-6C9AB3DA6BF1.jpeg

Mine is a Lyman imported Uberti from the early 70s.

But ... historical correctness aside, if I were to buy again I'd be real tempted for the .36 version w/ adjustable target sights....

I have a Ruger Old Army and Armi San Paolo / Euroarms 1858 (both Stainless) and I'm tempted to get a Taylor's in SS also. Since I'm a stainless buyer, obviously I have no concern for historical accuracy :)

Mine is a Lyman imported Uberti from the early 70s.

But ... historical correctness aside, if I were to buy again I'd be real tempted for the .36 version w/ adjustable target sights....
A fellow Lyman guy. Mine made 1971, never been fired.
IMG_2248.jpeg

Back