• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to get balls and flint for a .75 Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starman321

32 Cal
Reaction score
My Brown Bess arrived today but not having any luck finding balls or flint for it. Not found locally or even on line. Just found out black power isnt even manufactured in the US anymore ! Please help

When I went to Track of the Wolf site before posting here my ph would always give me the unsafe site message and wouldnt let me connect so I called them and did order a box of .69 balls and 4 flints but the cost was over $40. Thats over twice what Im used to paying locally but lately no one carries supplies here anymore. So my new question is " is there a less expensive site to purchase lead balls etc ?" As i need multiple boxes of balls for my other muzzle loaders which will cost me hundreds of $ at Track of the Wolf.

When I went to Track of the Wolf site before posting here my ph would always give me the unsafe site message and wouldnt let me connect so I called them and did order a box of .69 balls and 4 flints but the cost was over $40. Thats over twice what Im used to paying locally but lately no one carries supplies here anymore. So my new question is " is there a less expensive site to purchase lead balls etc ?" As i need multiple boxes of balls for my other muzzle loaders which will cost me hundreds of $ at Track of the Wolf.
Get a few bag molds from Larry Callahan and cast your own, can’t go any cheaper than that! The mold I got from him is the only one I’ve ever had that makes a perfect roundball every time. As for flints, they are pricey unfortunately and unless you knap your own it’s the going rate.

Looks like they only carry a .60 mold unless I do the custom. Wonder if I could use the .60 mold and just use an over sized patch as I should use a .69 ball for the .75 Brown Bess. Hopefully could use the .445 mold for my .44s and maybe the .53 mold on my ,58 with a thicker patch. One problem is I live off grid and I'm thinking the melting pots are electric ? So I'd have to rig up a propane pot to melt lead. He does have the best prices Ive seen so far, thanks

If you don't mind a modern mold, google Lee .690 round ball mold and there are many folks selling that mold brand new. You may need a thicker patch but it gives you a musket ball to shoot and Lee molds cast a great round ball won't break the bank. If you do search for musket flints, you will get alot of different vendors. I recommend Mike Lea, the gunsmith as he has a large selection of musket flints in both black english and french amber in stock and ready to send to you. His contact is: Phone #614-291-4757.

Last edited:
If you don't mind a modern mold, google Lee .690 round ball mold and there are many folks selling that mold brand new. You may need a thicker patch but it gives you a musket ball to shoot and Lee molds cast a great round ball won't break the bank. If you do search for musket flints, you will get alot of different vendors. I recommend Mike Lea, the gunsmith as he has a large selection of musket flints in both black english and french amber in stock and ready to send to you. His contact is: Phone #614-291-4757.
I'll give him a call next time I need flints for my ,50 and .75 flintlocks. Thanks

You'd be well served to buy a mold, and some lead and make your own. The heat source can be as simple as a campfire or old propane stove. It will cost a little at the beginning but knowing you have a ready source of ammunition is reassuring.

These days about the only thing I still buy is patching, as it's eas easy as going to Walmart or Joanne fabrics. I've been making my own powder as well because of the Goex thing.

You'd be well served to buy a mold, and some lead and make your own. The heat source can be as simple as a campfire or old propane stove. It will cost a little at the beginning but knowing you have a ready source of ammunition is reassuring.

These days about the only thing I still buy is patching, as it's eas easy as going to Walmart or Joanne fabrics. I've been making my own powder as well because of the Goex thing.
I make my own patches also but I'll have to look into making power, hopefully theres a video on youtube.

Get a few bag molds from Larry Callahan and cast your own, can’t go any cheaper than that! The mold I got from him is the only one I’ve ever had that makes a perfect roundball every time. As for flints, they are pricey unfortunately and unless you knap your own it’s the going rate.
Larry doesn’t make that big. Nor does Lee. It cost about 150 for a .75 mold from Lyman for block and handles. A pot is about a hundred, but a small cast iron decorator pot can melt in your kitchen stove, or a camp fire.
Lead is about three dollars a pound and you get a dozen ball.
You buy back your set up in about three hundred ball

Also don’t forget a ball puller, your definitely gonna need it.
Never had to use one yet. I did have to put a little power down my niple once on my ,58 percussion when I forgot to charge with blackpower, worked great except I used to much power and the ball went threw two layers of 2 x 8" and into my cedar fence LOL
Larry doesn’t make that big. Nor does Lee. It cost about 150 for a .75 mold from Lyman for block and handles. A pot is about a hundred, but a small cast iron decorator pot can melt in your kitchen stove, or a camp fire.
,75 migbt be a smig
.75 might be a smidgen to big for my Bess as they shot .69 mostly, some .735 I believe at the most. I think I am getting the casting fever though, but probably will be trying casting for my ,44 revolvers to start with as already have .69 balls coming from Track of the Wolf but almost out of 44 balls (.451)
id

I was saying .75 just as ammo for a .75. .735, .715 and .690 all fit in a .75.
But I just got a .76. I’m a big fan of Larry, but he didn’t go where I needed. Lee topped out at .690, I could only find Lyman and had to buy block and handles

Larry Callahan does make custom sized bullet/ball molds. You do have to contact him to make the request for a specific ball size. I have a 0.735 mold from Larry. He had a few on his table at Fort de Chartres for one of the events and I promptly added it to my collection of molds.

.75 might be a smidgen to big for my Bess as they shot .69 mostly, some .735 I believe at the most. I think I am getting the casting fever though, but probably will be trying casting for my ,44 revolvers to start with as already have .69 balls coming from Track of the Wolf but almost out of 44 balls (.451)
id
FWIW....
When I got my Bess, I ordered 50 rounds of 0.715 and 25 of 0.735 from Track. Then proceeded to shoot them using a cloth patch with bear grease lube. .715 can probably be shot all day, or close to it, and still loads easy. Offhand at 50y, I could hit a paper target at the range about half the time (right handed but left eye dominant and a horrid wing shooter). 0.735 gets a bit tight after a few rounds.

I bought a new 0.715 Lyman mold on the ML Forum, handles from Titan Reloading and lead from Jason, greatly reducing the cost per shot.

As the Brits say, Bob's my Uncle.

Back