• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to buy flints in UK?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HUH? What kind of a question is this, when the world's largest historically-identified source of gun flints - Brandon - is just up the road from us, almost.

Not such a stoopid question as you might think.

In the USA, a number of dealers in BP supplies, like Track of the Wolf, actually sell English flints at half the price of the same thing here in UK - and a few of us in UK are trying to get our collective heads around that one.

Here we have one dealer - Peter Dyson - who wants £3.70 for A single flint - that, at today's ROE, is $5.18.

Any UK watchers/readers here like to chime in?

As an example of the prices for Brandon flints in the USA, my favourite dealer, in Springfield OR, lists these -

square.gif
Flint - 1/2in
English Knapped
Manufactured by Brandon Mines$1.75
square.gif
Flint - 1in
English Knapped
Manufactured by Brandon Mines$2.00
square.gif
Flint - 3/4in
English Knapped
square.gif
Flint - 5/8in
English Knapped
square.gif
Flint - 7/8in
English Knapped

Learning knapping is a darned handy thing to know, I've found. Just by using flintlocks it's almost an imperative and a fairly straightforward thing to learn. If I lived where you do I'd be on the road to procure some raw stock then back home on YouTube for some lessons. You prolly have the simple tools in the shop already.

My tuppence.

wm

'snot for me, Sir, as all my BP stuff is percussion, but I fully take your point. As you say, YT has some fine tutors from whom to watch and learn!

I had noticed that the last "Tom Fuller" English flints I received came in a bag marked "Made in India" More than likely your UK flints are still being knapped in the UK, where exports are being processed by low wage laborers.

I had noticed that the last "Tom Fuller" English flints I received came in a bag marked "Made in India" More than likely your UK flints are still being knapped in the UK, where exports are being processed by low wage laborers.
Knapping isn't rocket science. As long as the stone is of good quality it doesn't really matter where it is processed unless one is a stickler for that sort of thing.

wm

That's because everything that Dyson sells is hewn from solid billet unobtanium by elves using unicorn horn tools.

I am tempted to get a flintlock, having already turned to the dark side it's only a short walk further down the road.

We occasionally as a club visit Euston Hall range not far from Brandon, and there are large flint nodules that are begging to come home with me and be treated roughly. One day I will give it a go, just have to buy a Brown Bess first. On that note, one of the club members does have a Brown Bess looking for a new home.....

Watched history program on the Romans and how they dug deeep to find certain flints. Maybe not all flint is of the same quality because why dig into the bowels of the earth to get what can be found readily on the surface? Great discussion and I’m not a flinter.

Watched history program on the Romans and how they dug deeep to find certain flints. Maybe not all flint is of the same quality because why dig into the bowels of the earth to get what can be found readily on the surface? Great discussion and I’m not a flinter.
Perhaps the added pressure on the nodules being formed deep down makes the flint denser and longer lasting?

HUH? What kind of a question is this, when the world's largest historically-identified source of gun flints - Brandon - is just up the road from us, almost.

In the USA, a number of dealers in BP supplies, like Track of the Wolf, actually sell English flints at half the price of the same thing here in UK - and a few of us in UK are trying to get our collective heads around that one.

Here we have one dealer - Peter Dyson - who wants £3.70 for A single flint - that, at today's ROE, is $5.18.

As an example of the prices for Brandon flints in the USA, my favourite dealer, in Springfield OR, lists these -

square.gif
Flint - 1/2in
English Knapped
square.gif
Flint - 1in
English Knapped
square.gif
Flint - 3/4in
English Knapped
square.gif
Flint - 5/8in
English Knapped
square.gif
Flint - 7/8in
English Knapped
I am visiting in the UK, and struggling to find these flints. Can you help me with a web address where these flints are sold? Thanks a lot! John

square.gif
Flint - 1/2in
English Knapped
square.gif
Flint - 1in
English Knapped
square.gif
Flint - 3/4in
English Knapped
square.gif
Flint - 5/8in
English Knapped
square.gif
Flint - 7/8in
English Knapped
Just over 2 years later your favorite dealer has had to double their prices.

square.gif
Flint - 1/2in
English Knapped
square.gif
Flint - 1in
English Knapped
square.gif
Flint - 3/4in
English Knapped
square.gif
Flint - 5/8in
English Knapped
square.gif
Flint - 7/8in
English Knapped

I suspect the VAT and local taxes the citizens over there love to vote into law have a lot to do with the high prices.
There is a German guy with a strange last name like Krank or Crank over there that apparently is in the black powder weapons business that may have flints. No idea on pricing, though.

On one of your trips to the US, why not buy 20 dozen or so and take them back home in your checked luggage, or is that illegal over there too?

I suspect the VAT and local taxes the citizens over there love to vote into law have a lot to do with the high prices.
There is a German guy with a strange last name like Krank or Crank over there that apparently is in the black powder weapons business that may have flints. No idea on pricing, though.

On one of your trips to the US, why not buy 20 dozen or so and take them back home in your checked luggage, or is that illegal over there too?

Dear Mr Smoothshooter, a few pointers into UK legislation for your edification.

The citizens do not vote taxes into law. The government advisors to the Treasury do that. The Chancellor of the Exchequer - the most senior member of the cabinet - presents a budget ot two to Parliament every year, which, having been read in the budget speech, he 'commends'. That's it. No citizen input - a bit like your Federal tax and state tax - do YOU vote for them?

Henry Krank is the trade-name of the company based in Pudsey, Yorkshire, which is the largest vendor of BP products in the UK.

Living a short way from Brandon, and a long way from Kranks, means that if I ever needed flints, I'd go directly to the original source, and buy them from one of the nappers there.

Back