• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where the Heck?? Colt 1860 Part?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I was wiping down my new Uberti Colt 1860 after cleaning it following my range trip today I heard something fall on the floor:

What?.png

I thought "WHERE the heck did THIS come from?" I've had the 1860 disassembled once down to every last piece and part (so I thought) and I don't remember seeing this coming out of that gun (it's about 5/16 in diameter). Any chance this clip might have come out of my gun? I have no idea where else it might have come from; it was the only gun I was cleaning today.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I was wiping down my new Uberti Colt 1860 after cleaning it following my range trip today I heard something fall on the floor:

View attachment 231532

I thought "WHERE the f.... did THIS come from?" I've had the 1860 disassembled once down to every last piece and part (so I thought) and I don't remember seeing this coming out of that gun (it's about 5/16 in diameter). Any chance this clip might have come out of my gun? I have no idea where else it might have come from; it was the only gun I was cleaning today.
It's a standard Circlip or snap washer. Never saw one on any of my Ubertis.
circlip-snap ring.jpg

I’ve heard of those being placed at the end of the arbor to help with the “short arbor” issues on some Ubertis. It would not have been in a new gun, however. BTW, I have lots if Uberis, but none if mine suffer from the shirt arbor phenomenon.

It's a standard Circlip or snap washer. Never saw one on any of my Ubertis. View attachment 231541
If this part drops down into the arbor well on the barrel assembly it may be a “shim” used to correct a short arbor situation. To find out, drop it in the arbor well and reassemble the pistol. If the wedge fits and the cylinder rotates correctly, it probably is a shim. If the pistol will not reassemble with this in the arbor well, it does not belong to this gun.

Good Luck! Snoot

View attachment 231532

I thought "WHERE tthe f.... did THIS come from?" I've had the 1860 disassembled once down to every last piece and part (so I thought) and I don't remember seeing this coming out of that gun (it's about 5/16 in diameter). Any chance this clip might have come out of my gun? I have no idea where else it might have come from; it was the only gun I was cleaning today.
That's the c-clip off my 62 chevy throttle linkage. I drop it yesterday and it disappeared. I've been looking for it, please drop it back thru the portal for me. No postage necessary. It sure seems like it sometimes, lose a bolt, clip, screw and it dissappears only to show up 2 or 3 months later right where you dropped it and searched10 times before.

I thought "WHERE the heck did THIS come from?" I've had the 1860 disassembled once down to every last piece and part (so I thought) and I don't remember seeing this coming out of that gun (it's about 5/16 in diameter). Any chance this clip might have come out of my gun? I have no idea where else it might have come from; it was the only gun I was cleaning today.
It doesn't come from an Uberti, you can be sure of that.
There's only one other possibility: Uberti's aren't arbor-bottomed. If you got it as a used gun, maybe someone put it on the shaft end to make up for the length defect and that piece fell down...

If this part drops down into the arbor well on the barrel assembly it may be a “shim” used to correct a short arbor situation.
No, I'm already using a #10 split lock washer, per @TDM short abor remedy method. I'm convinced it came from somewhere else. It's just a guy doesn't know if one of his other guns is missing a part. :rolleyes:

Sorry, you're correct, it was @45D (Mike), in another thread. Treat it as a misdirected compliment. Hah ....

Just for the record, I know the guy that "touts" the split washer thing. The cowboy shooters can get away with it because they shoot quite anemic loads anyway (they could get away without doing anything and be ok more than likely.).
I DON'T shoot anemic loads so therefore, I need a "true" fix.

A hint for you "split washer guys" , you can bend the washer to get rid of the offset . . . and not have a spring. The main point of the "fix" is to do away with any movement so "solid" is your friend.

Mike

Latest posts

Back