• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where have all the 40's gone?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN.Frank

45 Cal.
Reaction score
It seems like unless you order a semi-custon rifle your only other option to get a 40 cal is Dixie Gun Works Cub Rifle w/28" bbl. Other then that there are no other mass produced 40 cals on the market. It's too bad that the Frontier rifle doesn't come in 40cal. Wit it's 13/16ths bbl @ 39" it'd be just about perfect. What can we do to get more 40's on the market since this is a heck of a good multi-porpose caliber.

I agree, I put a drop in 40 cal. 32 inch on my thompson center hawken. First time I shot 3 shots in the same hole. Not much kick, stable for off hand, not much powder to use and accurate. Green Mountain just stop making this barrel and they make a 38 inch long 40 cal. drop in. :hatsoff:

I bought a .40 cal Green Mountain drop in barrel for my TC Hawken and one for my Lyman Great Plains. I have not shot the Great plains .40 Cal yet, but the one for my TC is very accurate.

I've got a Green Mountain 38" .40 caliber barrel on a T/C Renegade that I use for over-the-log shooting.

I just placed an order for a custom .40 cal Ohio style full stock flinter. GM 7/8"x36" bbl. Should be a real sweetie.

Java Man

Our hunting regs do not let you use anything under .45 for deer hunting, and even the .45 has fallen from favor. I have never even seen a .40 around here, and only the odd .32 or .36. I am just happy to see a traditional muzzleloader.

We can use 40 cal or larger for deer/big game here in Tennessee. I wonder how much it'd cost to have a Green Mt. 7/8" 40 cal barrel made up to drop into my Frontier flintlock rifle? If it would cost too much I'd like to have one made up for it. That'd give me a 50cal for the big stuff and a 40 cal for playin' around and small stuff.
At least I've got my ol' Poorboy rifle in 40 cal, it's not the prettiest rifle in of the bunch but it shoots pretty good. :grin:

probably about as much as your poor boy .40 cal. is worth. The only way to increase the chance of companys making more .40 cal guns is to encourage more people to use sub calibers for varmint hunting, and for hunting squirrel and rabbit. You and I both know that a .40 is an excellent choice for killing coyote. It also works on fox, ground hog, and the small game mentioned. We had an epidemic of 13 stripe ground squirrels a number of years ago, which were sadly eradicated by poison. It would have nicer if the authorities would have let us hunt them as kids, with .22's, and our small caliber muzzle loaders. You don't see many articles these days about varmint hunting with muzzle loaders. If more people do it, there would be an increased demand for thse calibers. I want a .36 for the same kind of work.

Frank,

Might be possible. I'm really looking forward to getting mine, for offhand shooting. Had a .40 a long timeago with a GM bbl, was a superb shooter.

Java Man

I'm not a hunter myself: but I don't think Louisiana allows .40 for small game; only .32 and .36. I'm not sure whether .40 is legal for deer and turkey here.

If not, that would leave it in no man's land as a hunting piece, in this state. :(

Capt. William

Well if just looked and mine is still here ,But not for long im going to sell it to have a custom 40 built . Its a lefty flinlock 42 in gm barrel

Here in Arkansas the smallest ML caliber you can use for deer is .40, the largest ML caliber you can use for small game is .40. So, I got a GM IBS .40 for my Cabela's Hawken. Shoots good and covers both bases. In Nebraska (where I lived for 50 years) you have to use .44 cal or larger for deer and anything goes for small game. Generally I use a .54 for deer and a .36 for small game.

Frank, About twenty-five years ago I had a custom flinter built by Jerry Kirklin from Birmingham, MI.. I had him cut the tang and provide a .54cal. and a .32 cal. barrel. The lock was built by Bob Roller and barrels by Getz. The trigger, double set, by Ron Long. I am currently having a .40 cal built by Jim Goodoien for trail shoots. I think I have the small game and the big game thing covered as well as trail shoots. I think your idea of an extra barrel for your rifle is a very good one. Regards Tom

Capt_William said:
I'm not a hunter myself: but I don't think Louisiana allows .40 for small game; only .32 and .36. I'm not sure whether .40 is legal for deer and turkey here.

If not, that would leave it in no man's land as a hunting piece, in this state. :(

Capt. William

The .40 is an "illegal" hunting caliber for all species in Louisiana as I read it. It is not legal for big or small game. I think they were specifically trying to help themselves in enforcement by this law--so someone couldn't be "poaching" deer with a .40 and a small game license. Despite the fact the many deer and even bear have fallen to the little .40, I don't recommend it as a big game caliber [oops! here come the irate replies!]. How many of you would hunt deer with a .410 slug? And it has a heavier "ball". You CAN kill a deer with it, but witness the mass defection of deer hunters away from the .45 to .50 and even .54 rifles.....45 is my personal minimum.

I have a DGW Cub in .40 Flint and it is the sweetest shooter I've ever owned. It came with a percussion changeover kit. By downloading you can take a squirrel and not ruin meat. Very accurate out to about 75 yds. Great little brush gun.
Two Trails

I think they were specifically trying to help themselves in enforcement by this law--so someone couldn't be "poaching" deer with a .40 and a small game license.

That makes more sense than any other reason I've heard. Never could understand why anyone would object to using a .40 to shoot rabbits, for example.

As to TNFrank's question, I think the .40's legality as a hunting weapon is the issue. If you are after a paper shooter, or just a fun shooter, the .40 is a great choice -- I love mine (42" barrel with 1 in 48" twist). And if it is legal for small game, I think it would be hard to beat (might be a bit tough on really small game like squirrels, but we don't have many of them 'round here.)

But -- guessing here -- most people don't look for something in that caliber or for that use until they are ready for their second or third ML. For most people, the first choice will be a big bore, either because that is what was used during the period being re-enacted, or because it will be used at least part time for deer hunting. That limits your market, and the economic incentive for production gun makers, who essentially build on speculation rather than "to order."

Not exactly pertaining to factory built rifles, but Green Mountain has discontinued .36 caliber in favor of .40. Once the stock of .36's is gone there will be no more. I just added a .36 Green Mountain to my Pedersoli Blue Ridge and was told that was the last .36 Green Mountain that Cain's had in stock and no more were coming. I felt the .36 was a better small game caliber and while the .40 may be better for deer I don't feel it is good enough for deer.

I have a .40 cal rifle thats a great shooter. I wanted to buy a lyman mold for it but they seem to have discontinued them. Dont know why.

TN.Frank said:
It seems like unless you order a semi-custon rifle your only other option to get a 40 cal is Dixie Gun Works Cub Rifle w/28" bbl. Other then that there are no other mass produced 40 cals on the market. It's too bad that the Frontier rifle doesn't come in 40cal. Wit it's 13/16ths bbl @ 39" it'd be just about perfect. What can we do to get more 40's on the market since this is a heck of a good multi-porpose caliber.

Sing with me:

Where have all the .40's gone
A long time passing
I still want one
.50's, they're picked up, all the time
When will they ever learn

Where have all the small bores gone
Big bore mania
Have to get me one
They've gone to custom orders, every one

When will they learn, ever learn
When will they learn

If you don't know what we're talkin’ about
When we say this
You get more balls to the pound
Than if you shoot a brown bess
And we just ain’t got no .40 calibers left
No no hey hey ...

Musketman said:
TN.Frank said:

Sing with me:

A long time passing
I still want one
.50's, they're picked up, all the time

Big bore mania
Have to get me one
They've gone to custom orders, every one

When will they learn

If you don't know what we're talkin’ about
When we say this
You get more balls to the pound
Than if you shoot a brown bess
And we just ain’t got no .40 calibers left
No no hey hey ...

:rotf:...I thought of that very same PP&M song as soon as I saw the posting...

Back