• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When to set trigger?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shooey

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a flintlock with a Siler lock. I normally set the trigger after bringing it to full cock. However, I just watched a video of a gentleman shooting, and he set the triggers while at half cock. Once set, he pulled the cock back fully and fired.

Is there a correct way to use a Siler lock or is this one of those things that doesn't really matter? Thanks. :thumbsup:

I have always felt that, purely for safety reasons, if no others, the trigger should never be set until the lock is full-cocked and/or you are fully prepared to fire. Even when full-cocked, the lock is not so likely to be tripped unintentionally as with the set trigger already set. I prefer to cock the lock and set the trigger only when bringing the piece to bear on the target.
It is true that not all set trigger mechanisms will permit the lock to be cocked at all unless the trigger is set, but, again, on the basis of safety, I generally avoid all such triggers, and cannot think of any good reason to use one in any form of shooting at all; having indeed just disabled such a trigger to function as a plain type in preference.
mhb - Mike

I doubt that there's a single 'correct' way...as another example the regimen I follow is simply based on safety.
Gun is loaded and on half cock...I decide to shoot a target, deer, squirrel, etc...I go to full cock, set the trigger, shoulder the ML, and take the shot

If I set it, it's after I've brought the lock to full cock...

When hunting, if a deer is fairly close, I don't usually set it...

I don't set it before going to full cock. I used to when deer hunting but then discovered I couldn't do a silent hunter's cock with it set.

I used to worry about the "click" when deer hunting but I no longer do.
There have been multiple instances of only the same 2 reactions from deer walking through that I was getting ready to shoot:

1) They hear it and simply stop walking, listening to see if they can ID the noise...making for a perfect still target;

2) Or, they don't hear it at all and keep on walking in which case I whistle to make them stop, then take the shot.

Some locks won't stay at full cock until the triggers are set. Can't remember which it is, single set or double set.
Mark

roundball said:
I used to worry about the "click" when deer hunting but I no longer do.
There have been multiple instances of only the same 2 reactions from deer walking through that I was getting ready to shoot:

1) They hear it and simply stop walking, listening to see if they can ID the noise...making for a perfect still target;

2) Or, they don't hear it at all and keep on walking in which case I whistle to make them stop, then take the shot.

Having silently cocked the rifle upon seeing a deer, I will sometimes make a doe bleat noise as I set the trigger. Invariably the buck will freeze long enough for me to take the shot.

It is a Double set (two "triggers") Single lever (only one lever on the rear trigger can release the lock) trigger.

Usually these are used on target guns or guns that do not have a fly in the lock.
The rear triggers lever keeps the sear from engaging the tumbler when the trigger is released.

As for setting my triggers, I'll go against the grain here and say I prefer to set my rifles rear trigger while it is at half cock.

I know of more than a few instances where the individual had the lock fully cocked before he tried to set his triggers.

Unfortunately, rather than having his finger on the rear trigger when he pulled it to cock the set trigger, his finger was on the front trigger so the gun fired before it was aimed. :redface:

Zonie said:
It is a Double set (two "triggers") Single lever (only one lever on the rear trigger can release the lock) trigger.

Usually these are used on target guns or guns that do not have a fly in the lock.
The rear triggers lever keeps the sear from engaging the tumbler when the trigger is released.

As for setting my triggers, I'll go against the grain here and say I prefer to set my rifles rear trigger while it is at half cock.

I know of more than a few instances where the individual had the lock fully cocked before he tried to set his triggers.

Unfortunately, rather than having his finger on the rear trigger when he pulled it to cock the set trigger, his finger was on the front trigger so the gun fired before it was aimed. :redface:
I also set my trigger at half cock.

First to full cock. Then as I shoulder the rifle I set the trigger so it's ready to fire the instance it's mounted. I have often done this in one smooth movement with the rifle seemingly firing the instant it shoulders with the sights in place. My rifles are fitted well enough for me that the movement could be misconstrued as a "snap shot".

What nhb, Hawk 2 and a good many others said... I set the trigger after the hammer is at full-cock just prior to bringing the rifle to my shoulder... then aim & fire. :hatsoff:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Full cock the sett. I don't know why, it is just the way I have always done it and I feel comfortable with.
My wife prefers to have hers set up so a sett is necessary before being able to half or full cock. I don't like that and believe there is a danger element involved. Or, worse, accidential discharge before shouldering and the deer runs off.

I built a rifle that had to have the trigger set before cocking the gun. I was provided with the parts and used these in the making of the rifle. there was only one way of shooting, and was as stated as above. While sighting in the rifle I found this to be not to my liking even on the bench. You could "un-set the trigger" after cocking, but I always was a little uneasy about that too. I mentioned this to the owner of the gun and he said he wanted it that way, so it was his gun after all. I personally shoulder, point generally at the target, cock and then set the trigger. That way if anything failed I was pointing in a safe direction. I then, generally point at the target, and fire.
at least that's what my targets look like.

Zonie said:

Wow, do I know that stunt. :redface:

That's why I want really different shapes in the two triggers such as this model. It's one more little reminder.

In field use I never set the trigger, unless I happen to have lots of time for a shot and the gun is already cocked and at my shoulder. I depend on a really good, clean break of a trigger without setting for about 95% of my shooting, only setting the trigger when an animal is still and I have time for a rested shot. Most of my shooting is pretty quick, and setting a trigger is just one more delay in getting off a shot.

I set the trigger then cock. Don't like pulling triggers with the gun at full cock. Would rather have control of the cock and my fingers outside of the guard.

Latest posts

Back