• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wheellock picture

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, musketman,
The right target is the one I was shooting. There are hits from three guns on it. The line throught the orange targdot is from my son's English rifle in .54, which I was shooting. The shot high on the right is from Audie Maines'20 gauge smoothbore called 'lil ugly'. The group right below the targdot is from the redhairedgal at about 40 yards. There are three shots in the group.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/volatpluvia/021_21.jpg
God bless.
volatpluvia

Those targets remind me of a girl I once knew ::

Can't see much of the gun in the dark wood, you got another picture?

Very Jaegeresque, this must be a German/Austrian target rifle?

I found some lumps of pyrites for a quid each so I bought three to try. It does strike a spark, reluctantly, if I hit it a glancing blow with a file. Is this the right stuff?

pyrites.jpg

Robin,
that looks like the chunks I bought from Peter Dyson. Mine throw nice sparks off my wheel. The last for 6, 7, or maybe a dozen shots before the crumble. That is a shard from of the chunks. I get maybe 6 shards from a chunk.
God bless.
volatpluvia

Thanks, teleocerus! :)
I forgot to answer the question from Robin. Yes it is the state of the art lock for German wheellocks. Yes, I made it in the yeager style, but it really is a much fatter stock than 'Der Scmiser'. I let the lock dictate the size of the stock.
God bless.
volatpluvia

In reviewing my posts, I have concluded that I must proofread much more closely. :redface: :hmm: :shake: :rolleyes: :eek:

It does look like an "experience" to shoot... :eek: What about cleaning? That's gotta be a :curse: :no:!

LSU Tiger
Naw, I just get out my bottle of Simple Green and take the lock out of the gun and spray it down until black crud starts comming out of everywhere. Then rinse it in really hot water from the spigot and hang it up by the dog to dry. Then a good spray down of WD 40 and hang it up to dry again.
I know it isn't period correct :eek: :redface: :cry: but it is better than dismantling it each time to wipe it all down. :relax: :thumbsup:
God bless.
volatpluvia

Howdy,
I had a customer to be that emailed me wanting to know if I could and would make him a fancy custom wheel lock rifle? I told him I could if I could find good parts! So could you tell me were I could get the lock, triggers and the barrel?
Thanks and that is a nice looking rifle SIR :thumbsup: :master:
Tim/bear1st

bear1st
Thanks for the look at my gonne. The lock I ordered as a cast parts set from The Rifle Shop in Jones, OK. If you go to google and type in the name the website will come up. My cast parts set arrived in a month. I am repeatedly told here and elsewhere that you can still be calling and emailing a year later trying to get you order filled. The Lord must have been with me on that one. I made a primitive trigger. The sear system, and I do mean system, does not really need set triggers. The pull on mine is about one pound. Even so, the pull is long enough that I can feel the sear let go. The barrel is a heavy yeager from Getz. That barrel looks just right when comparing to the barrels on the wheellocks Shumway showed us in Muzzleblasts back in the Nineties. It took me about three months and some inquiries to persons who had gone on before me to assemble the lock. Then I fiddled with it for a while to get it to work well. It is working well, but pyrites don't spark the way flint and steel do, so ignition can be capricious. One day it is, boom, boom boom, the next it is doink, doink, boom, doink, boom, boom, doink, etc. :crackup: Have a great time with the research and the tinkering. :redthumb:
God bless.
volatpluvia

Volatpluvia,
Thanks for da site ta see bout dis lock. This here feller is a good ol boy that is a wanten the wheel lock, I have built him 4 other rifles over the years, I guess he will make me keep builden till I get it right :crackup: or supen like dat.
Ya did a nice job on yern wheel lock sure does look like one of the ooooooooold 1's. I got a book that shows da plans to build one but thought I'd see what might be out thar. Any hou I ama thanken ye. Time ta get back ta da ol gun shop got 4 rifles. 2 pistols, a englash sporten smooth bore and 2 hawks ta build, :p and day light is a burnin.
Keep ye powder dry and the wind at ye back
Tim/bear1st :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back