• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wheellock Carbines

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently leaned about terzaroulo, which are late 16th and early 17th guns that are between pistol and arquebus sized. A lot of them look like giant pistols, like the one I posted further up (post 6). It seems like the cavalry carbine was a bit of convergent evolution from the arquebus and these guns, and also helps explain why 16th century carbines are rare.

In English, it looks like these guns are often labeled as petronels, which had been confusing me.
I think some of these old terms are interchangeable depending on where you were standing at the moment. LOL

I think some of these old terms are interchangeable depending on where you were standing at the moment. LOL
There is also the additional issue that a lot of these terms weren’t even used during their time period. I saw that Michael mentioned that distinguishing between pistols and arquebuses didn’t happen until the former had existed for a couple decades

To me, there is nothing more beautiful or graceful, than a 17th Century Germanic wheelock. Spent many of my working years in the 80's, 90's and early 2000 visiting European museums and a few very interesting collectors, gloating over wheelocks, handling and shooting currently made exact replicas of those magnificent locks and firearms. Reading whatever period firearms reference books I can find. I prefer those wheelocks that are unadorned working tools, lacking the gilt and glitter of the super wealthy back in those years. Spent a lot of time in Poland, the heart of insane wheelock art makers guild in the world, studying and making notes. There are maybe only 7 or 8 really top quality true wheelock craftsmen in the world and the vast majority are in Poland. They all seem to unselfishly study each others manufacturing of handcrafted locks. They all seem to find their niche and bounce ideas off each other. Rare in these times. Happy I found this site! Happy I found you good folks who appreciate these firearms. As the months roll by as I settle in, I will try to join in these conversations. Until then!

Something to notice: cavalry carbines have wide spoon shaped trigger guards. It's added protection against snagging the trigger on equipment while jostling around on a horse. Arms for foot soldiers have notably narrower trigger guards. Not universal (is anything?), but a tell.

@XVIIc Wheelocks
Glad to have you here! Please share what you have learned. There are a few of us here building and/or admiring these early creations!
I plan on building a few wheellocks. However, I really like the ornate ones. True functional art at it's finest!

Thanks for joining in!

William

Something to notice: cavalry carbines have wide spoon shaped trigger guards. It's added protection against snagging the trigger on equipment while jostling around on a horse. Arms for foot soldiers have notably narrower trigger guards. Not universal (is anything?), but a tell.
That is a very good observation! The spoon shaped trigger guards are one of the things I had noticed, but never made the connection.

These carbines are examples that have wide trigger guards, for (allegedly) use with cuirassiers:
Teraruolo.jpeg

Last edited:
Back