• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wheel lock kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any familiarity with the wheel lock pistol kits marketed by J.F. Schroeter back in the 1990s. Good bad or indifferent?

Last edited:
I've not heard of them. Do you have any pictures of the parts?

Something you have already, or are looking to acquire?

Does anyone have any familiarity with the wheel lock pistol kits marketed by J.F. Schroeter back in the 1990s. Good bad or indifferent?
FWIW ... please use the search function, as the term 'Schroeter' as associated with wheellocks has quite a presence on here ... you'll be reading for a while!

Reply back with links of interest to you or a summary of what YOU find out 🤞 .

FWIW ... please use the search function, as the term 'Schroeter' as associated with wheellocks has quite a presence on here ... you'll be reading for a while!

Reply back with links of interest to you or a summary of what YOU find out 🤞 .
That was interesting; looks like a few people made some nice wheellocks out of those kits, with a fair bit of work and new springs. ...I'm getting the build a wheellock bug again, too.

I dont know about Mr Shroeters kits But Paul Jacobi offered a wheel lock much like the one shown above and Navy Arms offered these locks & guns related but seemingly they didnt sell since at that time most where not beyond cap locks & I expect the Jacobi locks which are probably the same as Navy Arms .They had a steel ball bearing as the scear nose & I & ' Felt Wad ' made guns with them. .For the price they where a good item In my view . I was once listening to a lecture by David Edge then conservator at the Wallace collection he spoke of evloveing armour then held up a WL pistol . that looked familiar .So I caught the assistants eye and told her it was my work I had made it for the advisor to the Sharpe's series but he on sold it to David so at the end of the talk he said "& if you want to know more about this pistol the maker is here" This was the Second' 'Kirby Hall' a big UK 'Time line' event it was .
Rudyard

Last edited:
I have a reproduction wheellock pistol made by Mendi in Spain which I acquired about 1978. At that time Navy Arms briefly offered this pistol and a carbine with the same lock. They weren't on the market long and as Rudyard said "most where not beyond cap locks" and that meant "Hawkins". I'm not aware of any kits being offered using these parts. I also had an original then but I foolishly sold it to pay some bills which I have regretted ever since. I should have let my credit score take a hit. :)

Latest posts

Back