• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whats your favorite Tobacco?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arrowstorm said:
The absolute best pipe tobacco I've ever smoked in my entire life was from a tin called 1864 Perfect Mixture. I've only recently smoked the very last of it from the last tin I was able to find from about 8 yearsago.
Once a month, that's moderation. Good for you. 1864 Perfect Mixture is still sold by the way. The details state 'an upgrade of a classic blend'.

LOL! I feel stupid. With all the purchasing online I do for stuff, including cigars by the box, it just never occurred to me to buy a tin or two of that pipe tobacco! I never even looked for it because I thought I remembered the lady at the wine and tobacco store told me they stopped making it!

Sure enough, looks like I can get it! Thanks!

Back in Summer of 1970 I was on a Forest Service Fire Crew and we were fighting a fire in Sequoia National Forest in CA. We were given a "tobacco ration" each day. I cold get a pack of cigarettes, a pack of small cigars, or some chewing tobacco. One day I got a pouch of Redman, another day I tried Days-O-Work plug. Then I got a pack of Pall Malls (no filters). Liked the Redman better than the Days-O-Work plug. As long as you don't swallow, you don't get sick. So you really need to spit...a lot! Haven't used chew since.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

For Virginia perique blends, Escudo navy deluxe has got to be my favorite. I'm still looking for my favorite English blend but, Frog Morton original is one that I really like. Most orientals are pretty mellow smokes, I'd recommend Grand Orientals Drama Reserve by McClelland.

I haven't read anyone recommending C&D PirateCake.
Some good/strong Latakia flavor there. It makes a great air freshener also.

I haven't read anyone recommending C&D PirateCake.
Some good/strong Latakia flavor there. It makes a great air freshener also.
:barf:

Ah to each their own. Too much Latakia and Perique for me.

I'm looking to get some McClelland's Backwoods Flake which is all Virginia tobaccos, in a proper flake which was popular in the 18th century. So may be close to what was available at the time.

LD

Dave, Thanks for mentioning the McClelland's. I enjoy good Virginia tobacco but haven't tried the Backwoods Flake. The order goes in this week.

Jeff

Hey I got some yesterday....a bit pricey over-the-counter at my neighborhood tobacconist, but it's a good smoke, all Virginia, and a flake as they did three centuries ago. Medium flavor, simple aroma, nothing overpowering, and fine in my clay pipe, though a slight bite when first being lit...., calmed down after a minute or two. Should be great in a looong stemmed clay or briar church warden.

OH and sorry folks it's Blackwoods Flake, not Backwoods..... :redface:

LD

Camel non filters :grin: Hard to beat a good joe.Plus you can smoke the butts in a pipe :haha:

(There 8 bucks a pack,you know)

For the same amount of tobacco at the local tobacconist...I pay 30% less for the Blackwoods Flake than a person who buys Camels, and I don't smoke as fast with a pipe... :shocked2: I think I'd learn to roll my own. :wink:

LD

I definetly do a lot of rolling(Camels ore an occiasional treat)Here in Fl. I buy so called"pipe tobacco"for hand rolling.

When they upped the taxes dramatically,the regular cigg manufactures got all PO,ed Cause a lot of people went to rolling tobacco,so they lobbied for same tax bracket.

overnight the price went from 3 dollars to 12 dollars.So cigars and "pipe tobacco" remained lesser taxed.Everyone I know rolls it up.Just a word game to avoid the tax.FWIW

Tobacco is "bad" enough, but a lot of manure is put into factory cigarette tubes that you don't get when you roll your own.

I too sometimes roll pipe tobacco into a cigarette paper (I have a little tool that does it) on the odd occasions when I'd like a pipe but can't really use one. I don't smoke them like folks smoke commercial cigarettes though.

LD

Yeah,I should probably smoke
less.I quit cold turkey for a year and a half, then, foolishly started back :doh:

Maybe I should quit again and put the money towards a new cap n ball.

Time after time studies have tried to link pipe smoking to cancers, and they do if one smokes a lot, 5-7 bowls a day. I smoke a pipe a day, two or three times a week twice a day. At an event or on a trek three or four. I think a Greek guy about three thousand years ago stressed moderation. A glass or two of wine, or beer or mixed drink won't hurt you, can even help you, a case of beer or a fifth of vodka per day ain't none to good for you.
Besides the manure stuck in ciggeretts, they encourage smoking by the ton. If you roll your own, use tobacco from a tobacconist and use them lightly

Back