• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's your .62 roundball load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My .62 fusil measures a true 0.620". I play with different combos, but generally prefer a 0.018 pillow ticking patch and 0.595 ball. Bigger combos are too difficult to load after the fouling builds up, though I can use a .600 ball if I swab between shots. Sometimes I'll back the patch size down to 0.015 with those balls. I usually use a 0.600 ball for hunting to have a little tighter fit in a clean barrel. A .605 ball is just too big no matter what the patch. It loads hard in a clean barrel and becomes impossible to get down with any fouling. The only time I ever broke a ramrod was trying to get a .605 ball down the barrel on the 2nd shot. I'd like to try a .590 ball, as even the .595 becomes difficult to load if I don't swab at all when shooting. Jumping between ball and patch sizes, there's no change in impact from what I can see.

As far as the charge, I like 70 grns of 2f, but use 3f as well. Any less, and the ball hits low at 50 yds. (No rear sight on my gun.)

.600" ball that loads very hard. Will be looking for or ordering a .590".
I am a light load proponent. Usually 50 gr. 3Fg real bp. I haven't hunted big stuff yet. Will probably up to 70 gr. for deer or bigger.

.620 bore diameter
.600" ball
.015 Ox Yoke patch lubed with spit
80 gr. FFg
or
65 gr. FFFg

can shoot all day without swabbing

85 gr. 3F
1/8" hard card
1/2" lubricated cushion wad
.600" ball
.018" ticking patch lubed with beeswax-lard

Spence

My bore is .615. I use a .595 ball with .15 lubed patch over a lubed 1/2" fiber wad and 75 gr. 3f. This load shoots accurately in my gun.

I also shoot a 70 gr. load of 3f, equal volume of shot, and the same lubed wad with an over shot card. Patterns well enough at 30 yards.

.620 bore in a 42" swamped octagon barrel. 80 gr of KIK 2F, .600 ball and .022 denim patch lubed with mink oil gives a sub-3" group at 50 yards off a bench.

I don't feel I've ever really completed load development for a round ball with this smooth rifle and am going to continue to experiment as time permits.

.617 bore
.610 ball bare between two wads of lubed Spanish moss
at least 80grns of 2ffg

So far, a .590" WW ball and a lubed .018" patch or a bare .606" WW ball; card wad, cushion wad (or felt), ball and os card wad. Still fiddling with it some.

Got a Lyman .595 mold on another forum a couple of weeks ago. Cast some with it this weekend and it's .595 on the button. Figger on trying some greased 40 weight cotton next weekend with Jacks Battle.

Deer load:
38" Rice with a .620" bore
110grns Goex 2F
.022"-.024" patch
.600" cast ball

Back