• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's the purpose to draw file a barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericboj

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am very new to this site and have been just pouring over a lot of old posts. I came across one where some one draw filed the barrel of their gun that they just bought. I am curious as to why one would do this?

I had a lot of questions to ask when I first registered here and found the answers I wanted by just trying to read up on the old posts. I am really enjoying it here and have so much to learn before I feel like I can add to someone else's post. The more I read the more questions are answered but also more arise so the more I read. Without even thinking I can spend 2 hours alone doing searches in threads or forums and reading.

A procedure normally done when building a rifle. You draw file the barrel to take out the milling marks incurred when the barrel was made. Also you can file out any blemishes you may make in building the rifle, make the tang barrel fit look nice & even (if you breeched it), etc.
:thumbsup:

Birddog6 said:
A procedure normally done when building a rifle. You draw file the barrel to take out the milling marks incurred when the barrel was made. Also you can file out any blemishes you may make in building the rifle, make the tang barrel fit look nice & even (if you breeched it), etc.

Some guys also draw file off the junk that is stamped on the barrels warning all to only use blackpowder.

Pork Chop said:
Birddog6 said:

Some guys also draw file off the junk that is stamped on the barrels warning all to only use blackpowder.[/

Ive done that as well as the manufacturer of the barrel...for ME it just made it cleaner looking. I only left the ".54" :)

Wattsy said:
Ive done that as well as the manufacturer of the barrel...for ME it just made it cleaner looking.

I like that idea...and in the same vein I was surprised to see builder's names stamped onto a barrel when of course the barrel was made by somebody else...Rice, Rayl, Getz, GM, etc.
We have become a society of labels and I don't like it...as an example I learned years ago, if I order any hunting clothes from Cabelas, the first thing I do is ask if they have their name plastered on it in an obvious place...if they do, I don't buy it...if somebody wants to stick their label in an unobtrusive place, OK...but not out in a glaringly obvious place.

Hmmmmmm......... Never thought of it that way........... :hmm: I guess I could carve my name in the middle of the cheekpiece...... :idunno: :grin: :rotf:

It's always been a "society of labels". Plenty of originals with the gun makers name on the barrel and he did not make it. Just finished looking over some pics of a piece by James Barber of England built about 1740. He used a Spanish barrel and the barrel maker's marks are on the barrel. Barber's name as builder is on the top flat. His maker's mark is also between the two British proofs.
Most barrel makers today Id them on the bottom flat so the builder can make whatever type of gun he needs to.

Different strokes for all of us I guess :grin: ...heck, if it's my rifle put MY name on it :wink:

I draw file to swamp the barrel...Not much of a
problem with old type barrels but the new stuff
is steel and I can work my butt off and have very
little to show for it except a smaller butt. The
steel just don't file as easy as iron...but that
is just what I think... :idunno:

The name on the bottom of the barrel, as I've always understood was the builder of the gun? The one I built has a GM barrel, I stamped my name in the bottom of it. I built it? If I ever get amnesia, should be handy.

This old Percussion Belgium double shotgun I have, has all sorts of marks on the barrel, sadly no name :idunno:

Capt. Jas. said:
It's always been a "society of labels". Plenty of originals with the gun makers name on the barrel and he did not make it. Just finished looking over some pics of a piece by James Barber of England built about 1740. He used a Spanish barrel and the barrel maker's marks are on the barrel. Barber's name as builder is on the top flat. His maker's mark is also between the two British proofs.
Most barrel makers today Id them on the bottom flat so the builder can make whatever type of gun he needs to.

It was the "In" thing at the time to have a gun with a Spanish barrel (or a fake Spanish barrel...).

Back