• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What will remove Tru-oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bolink654

32 Cal.
Reaction score
And not harm rust browning?

Yeah, I did the boiled linseed oil on the browned parts of my Plains pistol kit, that looked pretty good. Then I tried some Tru-oil on the nosecap just to see, I liked how it looked, but then when I did the whole barrel, I dont like how it looks...

I could sand it off, but then I'd have to re-brown.

Try turpentine or acetone with a nylon scrubby. I used that to remove linseed oil from steel and it worked pretty well. Tru Oil might be a little tougher, though.

Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner. Warm the barrel by pouring boiling water over it. Then apply plenty of the Blue Wonder and use either a Sctoch Brite Pad or fine steel wool. Give it a good scrubbing.

If You have an old barrel or piece of scrap, try on that first to see whether you like the steel wool or Scotch Brite better.

If you want to take short cuts with toxic chemicals, read up on them first. I know, a lot of the old timers used them for years. A lot of them aren't around to enjoy shooting anymore. Friend of mine who used to own a body shop took a lot of short cuts. He was waiting for a heart/lung transplant before he died.

RE: MEK, Read below and decide if you want to use something that toxic. If so, do it outside and stay upwind.

Briefly, what do I need to know about methyl ethyl ketone in an emergency situation?

Methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) is a colourless liquid with a sweet/sharp, fragrant, acetone-like odour. It is an EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE LIQUID AND VAPOUR. The vapour is heavier than air and may spread long distances and distant ignition and flashback are possible. MEK is highly volatile. It is irritating to eyes and respiratory tract and a central nervous system depressant. High vapour concentrations may cause headache, nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, incoordination and confusion. MEK also causes eye irritation. It is an aspiration hazard. Swallowing or vomiting of the liquid may result in aspiration into the lungs. MEK is a POSSIBLE REPRODUCTIVE HAZARD - may cause fetotoxicity based on animal data.

RE: ACETONE

How can acetone affect my health?
If you are exposed to acetone, it goes into your blood which then carries it to all the organs in your body. If it is a small amount, the liver breaks it down to chemicals that are not harmful and uses these chemicals to make energy for normal body functions. Breathing moderate- to-high levels of acetone for short periods of time, however, can cause nose, throat, lung, and eye irritation; headaches; light-headedness; confusion; increased pulse rate; effects on blood; nausea; vomiting; unconsciousness and possibly coma

Bolink345 said:
What the heck is MEK and whats it used for? I've never heard of it.

MEK Solvent (Methyl Ethyl Ketone)This is a strong cleanup solvent, particularly effective for epoxies. It is less volatile than acetone. It is used quite a bit in the aircraft industry. Can be somewhat of a health hazard unless used carefully and properly.

Davy

I thought MEK was just taken off the bad list by the feds, not as toxic as first supposed.

MEK is used primarly in the Fiber Glass industry.
I use Acetone, MEK, Lacquer Thinner and Chlorinated Brake Cleaner to degrease parts but I make it a point to always do this outdoors and upwind. All of these except the Brake Cleaner are very flammable.
It is also best (IMO) to avoid getting any of these solvents on your skin as they can be absorbed and may do harm to your important organs.
I don't know that I'm too worried about the effect on my fetus :grin: but it ain't easy to replace livers and kidneys.

The breezes around here are often capricious and make working outdoors with nasty stuff a pain. I got an old blower (be aware of spark hazard from the motor) and rigged up a fume hood - I don't know how I ever got along without it. Exellent not only for fumes but for dusty dirty jobs. I can get right down close with a magnifier and still not smell any fumes.

I was all set to do this today, get some acetone, turpentine, or MEK that is, and remove the Tru-Oil.

But then I put about 40 rounds down range without cleaning it. And that fouling in/on the hammer, lock and around the nipple came off sooo much easier than a blued barrel (and I'd imagine it to come off even a bit harder with browned). So I've changed my mind, gonna leave the tru-oil. I take lots easier cleaning anyday over slightly better appearance. Though it might look good to some, I dunno. I just dont care for it that shiny. I guess I might hit it with some fine steel wool?

Fine steel wool, lightly used should tone it down some.
Just using the gun and cleaning it will mellow it out as well.

Rottenstone is good for knocking the gloss off, too. Being a powder, it will help with "crudding up" the crevices, too, giving that nice aged look.

I don't see any reason to seal browning with anything. I oil it just like I would any metal part.

I tried just gun oil. It got darker when oiled, but could be wiped off back to the un-oiled color. BLO kept it dark with any amount of wiping (especially after dried). And I liked it darker. Tru-oil, I just tried it for kicks and liked it on the small parts. I browned everything BTW, lockplate, hammer, the wedge pin and plates it gos through, barrel, nosecap, sites, and belt hook.

I had some problems with the LMF brown at first, I assume cause its so dry around here right now. I made it work though by letting it sit 12 hours between applicatons, and not carding at all for the first 4. The lockplate, hammer, and belt hook took about 5 more applications to get the same color, however. I guess because they are all a diffrent/harder steel maybe?

Latest posts

Back