• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Were They Trying To Do?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked up this .45cal TC Cherokee. I plan to sell it, but before I do, I want to find out what the previous owner was trying to do with this stock and barrel. It does allow for a tiny bit of side to side play in the barrel.

In the photo you can see that they have thinned out a bit of the barrel channel in 2 places. The barrel also had some permanent marker around it in 3 or 4 places, which I was able to remove with some 0000 steel wool.

Anyone have any idea what they were trying to accomplish?

Attachments

• IMG_3781.jpeg
    IMG_3781.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3780.jpeg
    IMG_3780.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3779.jpeg
    IMG_3779.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3778.jpeg
    IMG_3778.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Pure speculation on my part but, looks like the barrel was likely a bit loose in the channel so they hollowed out a place fore & aft of the wedge slot to bed it.

Agree they were probably trying to mount a scope but not necessarily with hose clamps. There are some threads on other forums about using barrel clamp mounts and how to properly butcher a rifle to do it with junk like this.
View attachment 240080

Yeah, that's a stock adapted to take a clamp-on barrel mount for a scope. IF one was bedding the barrel you do the whole channel, for accuracy or for tightness with the wedge, doesn't matter. Those stock mods = just the right location for a long eye relief modern rifle scope.

So that's my estimate, and I'd suggest that you get a bedding kit with color, and replace the missing wood with brown bedding compound, which when done won't be very noticed, but the stock will have its integrity restored.

LD

Holy cow, it’s so easy to drill/tap 4 holes to mount a scope base, particularly on an octagonal barrel. Doesn’t butcher the rifle and easily filled if you don’t want it scoped. Why in hell would anyone buy such an abomination of a mount or, worse yet, use hose clamps??? Some people shouldn’t be allowed access to tools.

I just picked up this .45cal TC Cherokee. I plan to sell it, but before I do, I want to find out what the previous owner was trying to do with this stock and barrel. It does allow for a tiny bit of side to side play in the barrel.

In the photo you can see that they have thinned out a bit of the barrel channel in 2 places. The barrel also had some permanent marker around it in 3 or 4 places, which I was able to remove with some 0000 steel wool.

If I had to guess, it's a crude attempt at glass bedding with the emphasis on crude in addition to no knowing what they were doing.

If needed due to eyesight or if wanting to determine the actual longer range accuracy capabilities of a piece it is quite convenient to have the serviceable and temporary mounting of a long eye relief scope with clamps in front of the stock. With clamps available on the market these days it doesn't even block the use of the wiping stick.
Once upon a time someone made a scope mounting clamp design that sat on top of an octagonal barrel. a rare bird indeed and I'm lucky to have stumbled across one.

Some people shouldn’t be allowed access to tools.
You think the previous owner would have done better with a power tool? 🤪

Last time I saw a guy "home job" a scope base by drilling and tapping, he didn't know about a bottoming tap, so drilled right through into the chamber..., when he fired it for the first time with the mount in place, things didn't go well.....

LD

It appears they were trying to see just how much they could mess up a perfectly fine rifle?

I don't get why people still try to do this. If one want's a scoped ML just buy a modern iteration and have at it. My uncles and I never butchered anything to mount a scope but did find that any perceived benefits were moot compared to the problems scoping such rifles presented. Summarily removed them all and went back to irons and or updated our rifles for suitable seasons.

Back