• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What tools do you have?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys, i was seeing that pistol stock blanks are fairly cheap, and wouldn't mind keeping one in a vise and doing a little work on it from time to time (I do have a barrel and breech plug)...

Im not interested in using any power tools even though i use them for a living...what are some of the basic hand tools you guys rely on, and for what steps in the process do you use them?

chisel's, rasps, and a gouge or two.
the 4 in 1 rasps are handy. a good wood mallet helps.
a good hand saw if you don't want to use powered. a hand drill with assorted bits, wood and metal.
chisels for inletting barrel channel and lock/trigger must and i mean must be surgical sharp. so sharp they will scare you. otherwise they will tear your wood or wander.
a way of blackening for inlet transfer. i use charcoal mixed with olive oil with a small artist brush to apply.
i also use a spoke shave for shaping, but might be over kill for a pistol stock.

You will need a long reach drill bit for the r/r hole. Years ago , I used a common electrician's extension bit to finish a pistol r/r hole. For long rifle length guns ,I now have proper long drill bits.

You will need a long reach drill bit for the r/r hole. Years ago , I used a common electrician's extension bit to finish a pistol r/r hole. For long rifle length guns ,I now have proper long drill bits.

I could see how that might be a challenge without power tools...i do have a hand drill that i used to make a ball board for patched balls... I don't see why i couldn't piece together a jig to use with it when the time comes though...i doubt i could do a straight hole all the way down without one.

Hey .36.......... In case you didn't think of this ........ I've been using a Stanley Work Mate vise for 50 + yrs. to hold stocks while I SIT and work on them. Have worn one completely out and replaced it w/ a new one. Just could never use one of the fancy stock maker pattern vises. After a hard day's work at my regular job , decided , sitting down , and working the second shift on m/l guns, was good idea........oldwood

my basic set of cheap carving tools. if i keep them scary sharp they do all i need.
20220116_182957.jpg

my basic set of cheap carving tools. if i keep them scary sharp they do all i need.View attachment 115400

I have a set of these, minus a few others in your picture. I never used them after buying them but sharpening isn't much of an issue for me, I'm pretty good at it...

Supposing i got a stock blank...and it would be a complete blank... I'm guessing you need to mortice in the breech plug, lock, and trigger assemblies pretty early in the process...

Go to the ALR site and check out Mike Brooks tutorial...only thing missing is barrel inlet and ramrod groove/hole. Basically, inlet your barrel, then ramrod groove and drill your hole then use Mikes' tutorial. He's building a rifle but it's the same steps when building a pistol.

I have a set of these, minus a few others in your picture. I never used them after buying them but sharpening isn't much of an issue for me, I'm pretty good at it...

Supposing i got a stock blank...and it would be a complete blank... I'm guessing you need to mortice in the breech plug, lock, and trigger assemblies pretty early in the process...
this is one i am scratching out to replace a broken stock on my mortimer.
first thing is to layout and inlet your barrel, breech plug and tang. everything else works off that.
the finished is a SMR (kinda) i just finished.

Attachments

• 20211020_163542 (1).jpg
    20211020_163542 (1).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20211113_102733.jpg
    20211113_102733.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220117_155559 (1).jpg
    20220117_155559 (1).jpg
    146 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back