• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What To Use For The "Lube Grooves"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sham66

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy,

After successfully casting some round balls, I thought I would try my hand at some Minie's for the Zouave .58.

I read some info about this at:[url] http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/panlubing.html[/url]

I think the info is good, but what does he use for the lube?

Thanks!

James

Last edited by a moderator:
Like he said, most use a beeswax based formula. I do smaller batches of pan lubing by using metal lid from an Ovalteen jar. You could start with some kind of beeswax/olive oil combination if you want to make your own. You could also buy commercial bullet lubes.

Sham66 said:
Howdy,

After successfully casting some round balls, I thought I would try my hand at some Minie's for the Zouave .58.

I read some info about this at:[url] http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/panlubing.html[/url]

I think the info is good, but what does he use for the lube?

Thanks!

James

One can complicate with exotic formulas, or just use plain old Crisco. I started using Crisco for minies back in 1960, still works for me today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use an about 8 to 1 mix of beeswax and Crisco. Melt and mix together. Place the bullets base-down on something that will fit in the pot or pan the grease is in. Dip it into the grease as far as just above the upper cannelure (groove). Take out and allow to cool.

You can push the bullet through a sizer if need be and that will trim the excess grease, leaving only the grease in the grooves.

The original formula used by the Ordnance Dept. was 8 parts of beeswax to 1 part tallow. This is pretty durn close. It doesn't run like many lubes. It stays solid except in very hot climates. If it does get too soft, you can use more beeswax. Now when firing a lot, it can get sloppy, but the bullets are easy to ram home, which is why they used this to begin with. Soldiers didn't have time to wipe every few shots. I wipe about every 4 or 5 shots even though I don't really need to. What's nice about this formula is that you can roll paper cartridges and not worry about soaking the paper as long as you don't use too much Crisco or tallow.

Thanks!

One last question: These aren't patched when loading, right?

James

No! minnies have a little cup in the bottem of the bullet that expands when the charge goes off so the bullet grabs the rifling. the bullet itself is slightly undersized so they can be loaded easily.

No patching is used. The Minie Ball is hollow based. Depending on the type of mold, these cavities can vary in shape and depth. Most are cone shaped or rounded at the top. The original Minie used an iron cup or plug in the hollow which was driven forward by the explosive gas and expanded the thin skirt into the rifling. Pritchett, an English designer, used a boxwood plug to do the same thing. James Burton, an American, did away with plugs altogether after finding that the gases were sufficient by themselves to expand the skirt. There had been complaints that the plug tended to fall away from the bullet and presented a danger to friendly troops who may be in front of a firing line. (I'm speaking of troops such as skirmishers who would be on a lower level and not in the direct line of fire).

Patching was used on the Pritchett bullet. It didn't have grease grooves and the patch was actually part of the cartridge. It was left wrapped around the bullet

Another method of greasing Minies is filling the hollow base with lube. I myself don't recommend this method, however some people do. It will contaminate the powder, especially if left in the gun for very long. A friend of mine lubes his "trash can" Minies this way. This type, which is a wadcutter type, doesn't have grease grooves. In his case, the bullet is loaded and fired immediately. I must admit that the lube does get distributed in the bore quite well this way. The originals were not lubed in this manner.

Back