• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to do when your farsightedness get`s worse..?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have tried a lot of stuff to remedy my elder eyes and farsightedness. I do have a pair of shooting glasses from "Knobloch" a German maker. they work fine with my pistols, but there is a lot of tinkering to make them in to rifle glasses, it can be done, and I have tried it. But when at competition, when you shoot a mix of short barrel and long barrel muzzle loaders, there is no time to adjust in between. and with me been a little clumsy, It is the making of a disaster! I think I am going to get an "Iris" for ordinary glasses and use it for all my long barrel shooting and keep the Knoblock`s for pistols. I have looked at the:

Gehmann Iris Clip-on
1656925992465.png

So my question is does any of you have any experience with this iris on ordinary or reading glasses?
I know progressive or bifocals are not good for shooting!

I don't have any experience using an iris, but I just recently had to get prescription glasses. I had been wearing cheaters for years to read comfortably or while working at the bench. Distant vision is still fairly great except in my weak eye (right), I'm left eye dominate. My shooting began to suffer several years ago when shooting a rifle, especially one with a short sight radius, handguns not so much of a problem. I was fortunate enough to find an optometrist who is also a match shooter. He suggested progressive lenses, and that he would put in a script to have them ground to where I have a narrow window, a little wider than 1/2" from the bottom of the lens up 1/3 of the lens to aid in reading and should improve my sight picture. I thought it sounded crazy at first, but once I got used to them, it improved my sight picture greatly, almost as good as my vision was (20/15) back in my 20s. I also noticed that things are a little crisper at a distance, especially beyond 100 to 200 yards. I'm turning 65 soon and he said that my eyes were still great for my age, but my near vision is where I really needed help. I was on various USMC Rifle and Pistol Teams where ever I was stationed, and some team mates would use an iris or a piece of tape with a pin hole in it when we were shooting 50 yd bullseye competition. I don't know if the work around that my eye doc came up with for me will work for you, but it does help that he is a rifle and pistol competitor. It's kind of like going to an expert in both fields. He said there are other special eyeglass options available for shooters, but lets try this first, and so far, it's working well for me. I ended up ordering a pair of P3 Shuron Ronstrong Ful-Vue eyeglass frames with cable temples. When I brought the frames back to his shop, he said "retro huh", so you wanted that Teddy Roosevelt look. I said well, I had two uncles who were issued the P3s during WW2 and continued to wear that style for just about the rest of their life, and that I thought they were sharp looking, plus they are still made in the U.S. and not in China. Best part is, they were one of the original manufacturers during WW2 along with American Optical and are still making them today. They also make the clip-on uv sunglasses in brown or gray that are the correct period style as the originals. I paid $89 for the frames and $76 for the clip-on sunglasses.
Shuron Ronstrong Ful-Vue Eyeglass P3 Frames

I use a Merit diopter on my shooting glasses and it has helped a great deal in seeing the sights on my long rifles.
Forgot to mention but I have the Merit diopter. I just belief they are to small and puny! and I do not like the suction cup attachment. The Norwegian retailer did not have the Gehmann iris clip in store, so I either have to wait or get them from somewhere else!

Get a bigger target?
Yeah that is probably the best solution, but when I shoot my flintlock cal.69 musket or Fusil to be exact, the target is in fact bigger! Or I have been thinking of taking up fencing, yaà all see there I can rely use my unstable posture and my waving the weapon in circle like moves...! LOL

Forgot to mention but I have the Merit diopter. I just belief they are to small and puny! and I do not like the suction cup attachment. The Norwegian retailer did not have the Gehmann iris clip in store, so I either have to wait or get them from somewhere else!
I didn't like the suction cup either, so I drilled a small hole in my shooting glasses lens and used a small screw to secure the Merit diopter to the lens. It pivots on the screw so I can line it up with my eye. Seems to be working OK for the last 5 years, so I think I will keep this set-up.

I use low diopter reading glasses in order to see the front sight. I use more potent glasses for reading. I still can't see that well and see a bit of "fuzz" around everything more than a few feet away. But one must do what one must do.

I put a peep sight on the rear of my rifle, and I believe it's helping. I still can't see the rear sight notch at all, but it doesn't matter. I see the front blade and the target, and that's it. Apparently the peep lets one line things up without actually seeing close up. Didn't want to do it, but it's keeping me in the game

I had surgery on both eyes this month with the right eye last week it will be a week Tomorow, 7/6 still waiting for my right eye to get unblurred from all the drops. Dr removed cataracts and put in new lens in both eyes. I am reading with the left for the first time in 15 years or so. Hope my right improves as much.

I have tried a lot of stuff to remedy my elder eyes and farsightedness. I do have a pair of shooting glasses from "Knobloch" a German maker. they work fine with my pistols, but there is a lot of tinkering to make them in to rifle glasses, it can be done, and I have tried it. But when at competition, when you shoot a mix of short barrel and long barrel muzzle loaders, there is no time to adjust in between. and with me been a little clumsy, It is the making of a disaster! I think I am going to get an "Iris" for ordinary glasses and use it for all my long barrel shooting and keep the Knoblock`s for pistols. I have looked at the:

Gehmann Iris Clip-on View attachment 147986

So my question is does any of you have any experience with this iris on ordinary or reading glasses?
I know progressive or bifocals are not good for shooting!
When I bagan to get problems seeing front sights clearly, I took a pistol mock-up to my optometrist and asked her for a right eye only (dominant eye) lens that gave me perfect focus on the front sight. It was a very small difference from the normal lens. I got a cheap pair of slightly yellow-tinted glasses online with my normal left eye ps and the modified right eye ps. Works like a charm, and my vision through them is still ok for driving, although things farther away are slightly blurry. Some folks cut dovetails furthur along their barrels and move the rear sights forward, or mount the rear sight backwards to move the aperture out. I like the glasses better.

I was ways very far sighted. Could see individual crows at 1+ miles on a clear day. In grade school eye chart tests , I always could see the smallest letters. Always was sight handicapped , that I had to scan lines of print in books , following my finger on the lines of print. At about 60 years , I began to change my sights around , so I could continue shooting. Two yrs. ago couldn't see target , or any sights. I went to a tang peep sight , and thick front sight , and all is well. At 75+ , I'm shootin' accurately again , and the critters are posted on notice , that I'll be after them in the woods........By the way , the trifocal glasses with the variable blending lenses are not the ones for shooting iron sights...............oldwood

I had surgery on both eyes this month with the right eye last week it will be a week Tomorow, 7/6 still waiting for my right eye to get unblurred from all the drops. Dr removed cataracts and put in new lens in both eyes. I am reading with the left for the first time in 15 years or so. Hope my right improves as much.
I hope thingswork out better for you than they did for me. I had the cataracs removed and new glasses "fit". They don't work at all. The doctor said that is as good as it is going to be!. I went to the optomitrist that always fit my glasses before the surgery and he gave me a new perscription and I am waiting for the second pair to come in. Right now I can't see well enough to load, much less shoot!

I do have a pair of shooting glasses from "Knobloch" a German maker. they work fine with my pistols, but there is a lot of tinkering to make them in to rifle glasses, it can be done, and I have tried it. But when at competition, when you shoot a mix of short barrel and long barrel muzzle loaders, there is no time to adjust in between. and with me been a little clumsy, It is the making of a disaster! …
Sorry, no experience with iris (other than on a rearsight) and don’t use reading glasses, preferring shooting glasses. The latter allow the lens to be placed so that the line of sight is through the centre of and perpendicular to the lens. Reading glasses don’t normally enable that. When I shot a lot of three position rifle I had two lens holders and lens - one for prone and kneeling and one for standing. It was a matter of seconds to remove one lens holder and replace it with another.

David

The worse my eyes get, the more I tend to prefer my smoothbores. Apparently having Lasik surgery 22 years ago is doing interesting things to my eyesight now.
Love my smooth-bores for much the same reason, still got tot see the front sight thou!

Surprise discovery..! I changed my rifle pair of shooting glasses (two big glasses with a merit peep iris) in to pistol glasses and my Knobloch small shooting glasses with a bigger iris in to rifle glasses, and as booth the pairs are corrected for my astigmatism, it seem to work extremely well. So the simplest solution was the easy way for me this time!

Thanks for all the good suggestions and answers to my initial question, you`re a great bunch to ride the trail with!

Since I started this tread a year or so ago I have used the:

Gehmann Iris Clip-on​

iris on a pair of shooting safety glases and they Work verry well. Use them for all my short barrel shooting .

Since I started this tread a year or so ago I have used the:

Gehmann Iris Clip-on​

iris on a pair of shooting safety glases and they Work verry well. Use them for all my short barrel shooting .

I'll have to try that. I bought a Gehmann Iris clip on but could never get it to work correctly with my regular glasses. Thanks again, specially if it works!

Back