• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What size dovetail does Traditions use?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to replace the rear site on my Traditions Springfield Hawken. Can someone help me with the dovetail size? I have measured it, but is it measured from the top or the bottom of the dovetail? I am going to guess from what I have read that its not a standard dovetail for most muzzleloaders.

Thanks,

Nick

I'm in the same boat, have a Traditions Hawkins 1 in 66 Spanish made rifle that I just got shooting this weekend after years of setting in the closet. Tomorrow I'm ordering a set of Lyman sights (front and rear) that fit a .360 shallow dovetail from Midway, total price $19. I'll let you know if they fit, the gun doesn't have a standard 3/8 dovetail. Hopefully these will do the job as they are the only ones I've found in any catalog.

Most common on US made guns are 3/8". Occasionally you'll find a 5/16". You get into the foreign made ones, they are metric. All dovetails are from the widest or bottom part. :redthumb:

Most common on US made guns are 3/8". Occasionally you'll find a 5/16". You get into the foreign made ones, they are metric. All dovetails are from the widest or bottom part. :redthumb:

Yep, Traditions would be metric, although I'm not sure what size it actually is. You can get a sight with a base that you know is wider than the dovetail and easiuly file it down until it fits. Not at all difficult to do.

9mm = .355" is the standard Spanish dovetail. This is the right size for Traditions and CVA. I don't know what the Italians use. You can get sights with the standard dovetail and reduce them to fit with a sander or file. :thumbsup: :redthumb:

Sorry it took me so long to post the results of the Lyman metric sight fit, I was test firing my new elephant gun before it goes to the Teflon finish shop. The answer is they don't fit. The dovetails of the sights are .1 too shallow. My next solution is a standard 3/8 dovetail and a file, let you know how it turns out.

Back