• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What size ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-g willy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just won an auction on a 1841 Mississippi 58 cal rifle,,,,Now,,,what size round ball should I get,,and what are some of you all favorite Minnie ball bullets?,

The .58 cal Mississippi barrels are rifled to shoot a minnie ball (three wide, shallow grooves) but do a credible job with a round ball. The correct barrel for a Mississippi rifle is a .54 cal round ball barrel (6-8 deep grooves). You will have to experiment to see what the rifle wants. I start with a ball .005" smaller than the bore size (ie. .575) and a .018-.020" thick patch.
I have no experience shooting minnie balls so cannot give an opinion there.
Enjoy your new gun.

I've had two Zouaves that have that same pattern of rifling. Both shot well with .562 and thick patch. .570 with thinner patch shot well with lower charges.

m-g willy,
Do you know what the bore diameter is yet? I've gotten .577, .580, .582... :shocked2:

I use the Lee traditional Minie in mine in front of 65 gr. FF. Works just fine. Getting a load to shoot to the sights is a different story. I had to make a new rear sight to replace the one from the factory.

GoodCheer said:
m-g willy,
Do you know what the bore diameter is yet? I've gotten .577, .580, .582... :shocked2:

Not yet,,,waiting for gun to arrive,,,I do know it is a Zoli barrel.

tenngun said:
I've had two Zouaves that have that same pattern of rifling. Both shot well with .562 and thick patch. .570 with thinner patch shot well with lower charges.

Thanks ,,I'll try the .562 mold

Back