• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The "browning" on the Pedersoli replicas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELewis

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hey all.....I was looking at a Perdersoli 1841 "Mississippi Rifle" and was sort of put off by the brown stuff that they put on the barrel. It looks like a commercial sprayed-on finish, like paint or Lauer Duracote.....it does NOT look like something that belongs on a period-correct weapon. The only genuine samples of the 1841 that I have seen in museums all have the finish fairly well worn off....or perhaps it was stripped off when the barrels were re-bored from .54 to .58 by one of the many contractors that prepped weapons for the war.....but anyhow, the stuff on the 1841 from Pedersoli just doesn't look "right". Does anyone have any observations or opinions on that?? What would be a more correct-looking finish?? Rust brown??

Hey all.....I was looking at a Perdersoli 1841 "Mississippi Rifle" and was sort of put off by the brown stuff that they put on the barrel. It looks like a commercial sprayed-on finish, like paint or Lauer Duracote.....it does NOT look like something that belongs on a period-correct weapon. The only genuine samples of the 1841 that I have seen in museums all have the finish fairly well worn off....or perhaps it was stripped off when the barrels were re-bored from .54 to .58 by one of the many contractors that prepped weapons for the war.....but anyhow, the stuff on the 1841 from Pedersoli just doesn't look "right". Does anyone have any observations or opinions on that?? What would be a more correct-looking finish?? Rust brown??
Personally, don’t care for the DuroCoat or Cerakote finish used by Pedersoli and other manufacturers to mimic a traditional rust brown. To me it results in modern painted look, plus under hard use it doesn’t wear like you see with a more traditional blued or browned finish. The epoxy/painted finish tends to chip/peal, at least in my opinion. Much prefer an even worn finish on traditional guns, and even like to see it on Milsurp guns, though different topic and not for here. There are a lot of people that work hard to get that worn look on guns they build and own.

Personally, don’t care for the DuroCoat or Cerakote finish used by Pedersoli and other manufacturers to mimic a traditional rust brown. To me it results in modern painted look, plus under hard use it doesn’t wear like you see with a more traditional blued or browned finish. The epoxy/painted finish tends to chip/peal, at least in my opinion. Much prefer an even worn finish on traditional guns, and even like to see it on Milsurp guns, though different topic and not for here. There are a lot of people that work hard to get that worn look on guns they build and own.
I'd have to say I agree with you.....the "paint" just doesn't look right. It's a shame because their Misissippi rifle and the "Cook and Brother" both look like really nice pieces otherwise....but that brown manure on the barrel!! Don't care for it. I guess you could strip it off and apply a rust brown...but that's a lot of work to put into a brand new weapon

Back