• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What size ball for .45 Cal.??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm pretty green but the one constant I've found has yet to reveal itself.

I can put .440 and .445 into my rifle with .010 and .015 lubed patches, and have no problem getting either one down the barrel.

But two .010s won't go down at all with the .440.

I have some new patching to try this week.

I blow down the barrel and clean every time the barrel gets tight. but I'm getting the idea that's not giving yourself the best chance to be accurate.

So once I sort all this out, I can give you a pretty good idea what shoots best in this rifle.

My .45 likes a .440 with a .015 well-lubed patch and a clean bore. (44" swamped & tapered Flintlock inc. barrel, perfectly tuned deluxe Chambers Siler lock put together by good ole Roy S., btw.)

Shoots better than I can hold her (or see), so it may not actually be the best load, just the one I'm used to.

Thanks folks, for all the input. I think I'll start with a .440 with a .015 patch and about 45 to 50 grains. see what she does. By the way this is an un-named gun from the 70's?, at least I cant find a name on it , but haven't removed the barrell. Really clean, except for two, yes (2) balls and powder still in her. Barrel cleaned up slick with just some discoloration in the bore, doesn't seem pitted.

Billdave said:
Thanks folks, for all the input. I think I'll start with a .440 with a .015 patch and about 45 to 50 grains. see what she does. By the way this is an un-named gun from the 70's?, at least I cant find a name on it , but haven't removed the barrel. Really clean, except for two, yes (2) balls and powder still in her. Barrel cleaned up slick with just some discoloration in the bore, doesn't seem pitted.

Bill, it would not be a bad idea to pull the barrel off the rifle and check the breech real well. That powder left in the breech could have compromised the breechplug!

A simple test would be to plug the vent or nipple and fill the bore with water. Check for water leaking at the breechplug. If you find it leaking the water, don't shoot it. Have a competent blackpowder gunsmith pull the plug and decide where to go from there.

Hope you read this before taking the gun out!

Skychief.

If all the discussions on this forum are like this one it's gonna be a great ride.

Rc

Back