• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What originally came in the box with a brand new Ruger old army in 1973

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mousegunguy

40 Cal
Reaction score
I just picked up a first year brass grip frame old army with the box and a bunch of goodies.
Does anyone know what originally came in the box with the revolver?
This is what I got with mine.
image.jpg
I’m curious if the cleaning bush came with the gun
Thank you for any help

The brush did not come in the original box with your Ruger.

Old Army would have come with the NRA invitation, owner's manual, nipple wrench and protective wrapping paper. Think there have been several minor variations of the " L " shaped nipple wrench over the production run. Seem to recall there may have been a wrench shaped differently than the " L " shaped wrench. Hopefully someone else can provide more information.

We would like to see your revolver. Enjoy !

Last edited:
The brush did not come in the original box with your Ruger.

Old Army would have come with the NRA invitation, owner's manual, nipple wrench and protective wrapping paper. There have been several variations of the nipple wrench over the production run.

We would like to see your revolver. Enjoy !
Thanks for the info..,,
Here’s your picture…
image.jpg

I’m going to get the letter from Ruger verifying it’s an original brass frame.
It’s in the correct serial no. range and has the mr3db casting mark under the grip.

Thanks for the info..,,
Here’s your picture…
View attachment 282007
I’m going to get the letter from Ruger verifying it’s an original brass frame.
It’s in the correct serial no. range and has the mr3db casting mark under the grip.
They also came with a set of big brass balls...at the time, that was one honkin' hand cannon! I'm sure you know already but they shoot a .457 RB.
Also, to clarify for the newbies or unaware, it's the grip frame that's brass. The frame is steel, same as in the Black Hawk and SBH series.

My first thought when I saw the title of this thread was that it was a trick question: What did originally come in the box for a brand new Ruger old army in 1973... a gun maybe?! 😜 Congratulations on a nice find!

Latest posts

Back