• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@aussie pete dang, Pete you got a group like so many claim to get AND you got a picture. 😀
Ha ha. I'm really chuffed with the results of my rifles; it took a bit of experimentation. You will notice that my charge is the same weight as that used by another poster, Idaho Lewis. I give a lot of credit to posters in this forum, and beyond. Honestly, I can shoot well off a rest snugged right in, and prone (23 years military training), but have to admit, offhand is my downfall. My buddies at the range are constantly surprised at the accuracy of muzzle loading firearms.

I always use a rest when hunting, and I get in real close.

Cheers, Pete

Chital stag.jpg

I have just ordered THIS and it is due to arrive on Thursday. Cant wait! I now have two hunting rifles of differing lengths, with a military rifle to join the family. Can anyone tell me who used these guns during the Civil war? I believe only about 12'000 originals were made back in the day. It is sold as a 'Zouave Rifle' and I am assuming they went to Northern units. But the New York Zouave outfits seemed to use 3 band Enfield or Springfield arms according to my literature. Could they have been a Naval rifle, like the 2 - band enfields? If anyone can give me more info on this gun I would appreciate it. If the reviews are not brilliant I can cope with that, as I have acquired this at a good price.

Attachments

• 600h600f_00010_FUSIL-ZOUAVE-POUDRE-NOIRECONNECTICUT-VALLEY-ARMS.jpg
    600h600f_00010_FUSIL-ZOUAVE-POUDRE-NOIRECONNECTICUT-VALLEY-ARMS.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 600h600f_00008_FUSIL-ZOUAVE-POUDRE-NOIRECONNECTICUT-VALLEY-ARMS.jpg
    600h600f_00008_FUSIL-ZOUAVE-POUDRE-NOIRECONNECTICUT-VALLEY-ARMS.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 600h600f_00009_FUSIL-ZOUAVE-POUDRE-NOIRECONNECTICUT-VALLEY-ARMS.jpg
    600h600f_00009_FUSIL-ZOUAVE-POUDRE-NOIRECONNECTICUT-VALLEY-ARMS.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 0
Loaded up my two 1860’s, one Pietta and the other Uberti, last week but due to rain, I shot them off the back deck today. I have to wait until my wife goes to bed so I can clean them in the kitchen sink.
I used to do the sink but the ladies complained about the smell and I was getting flash rust. I use TOTW solvent, it's water based. Works great. Now I just need to make some moose milk. Just to lazy too.
BORE-CLEAN Track's best Black Powder BORE CLEAN Solvent, with flip-top spout.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/368/1

I’ve been working on a collaboration with member Mulemauler. An English Sporter of sorts. I provided a barrel, tang and a few other parts and he crafted the stock and rough assembly. Sent me a rifle in the white. I was able to finish it up this morning. Been working on the stock and metal finishing for about a month now. Here’s the finished product.

Attachments

• IMG_2711.jpeg
    IMG_2711.jpeg
    836.8 KB · Views: 0
Wifie went to town. Am free to run amok!
started carving on a Flintlock Hawken i built some time ago. can use my left hand as a guide or stabilizer. noticed that i hadn't bedded the tang flush. re inlet it full depth. had to pull the barrel to do it. had 2 pins that went awol and each blew out a splinter. after commenting on the heritage of said pins, and my own general stupidity, I remembered i had installed them temporary anyway. was waiting on wedge escutcheons. whimp that i am becoming that is all the wrist throbbing i can put up with, without it effecting my usual sweet disposition. time for a healing nap. after i locate those wedge plates.

I have just ordered THIS and it is due to arrive on Thursday. Cant wait! I now have two hunting rifles of differing lengths, with a military rifle to join the family. Can anyone tell me who used these guns during the Civil war? I believe only about 12'000 originals were made back in the day. It is sold as a 'Zouave Rifle' and I am assuming they went to Northern units. But the New York Zouave outfits seemed to use 3 band Enfield or Springfield arms according to my literature. Could they have been a Naval rifle, like the 2 - band enfields? If anyone can give me more info on this gun I would appreciate it. If the reviews are not brilliant I can cope with that, as I have acquired this at a good price.
Congratulations on your Zouave! They were used by Union troops, made by Remington as the Model 1863, also called the Harpers Ferry Patent rifle. And yes, only a little over 12,000 were made.

Worked more on the .62 British rifled carbine. The stock is pretty well shaped but more to go, and then I am ready to inlay the side plate and work on the lock panel mouldings.

Attachments

• IMG_2094.jpeg
    IMG_2094.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2096.jpeg
    IMG_2096.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2097.jpeg
    IMG_2097.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Congratulations on your Zouave! They were used by Union troops, made by Remington as the Model 1863, also called the Harpers Ferry Patent rifle. And yes, only a little over 12,000 were made.
Thank you Sir! I think that Harper's Ferry Patent Rifle sounds somehow more gentlemanly and dignified. I also quite like the term 'Remington 1863 Contract Rifle' sounds pretty good too.

Dude you've got a great outlook and attitude. That's commendable.
I have been so blessed in this life, that it would completely wrong to let the minor things get me down.
only things i can think of that will throw me into a funk is the death of young people before they have a shot at living.

Back