• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my good knife back. A few days ago, I shot a 150 pound groundhog with my Fusil de Chasse. Went to skin him and found out he weren’t dead. He took off running through the woods with my good knife stuck in his hide. He didn’t go down a hole cause he was too big. Well, after four days and nights I finally caught him and wrestled him to the ground. I made a deal with him. I would let him keep his hide if he gave my good knife back.

Since the previous thread was shut down (locked) by our new moderator, I thought I would start one up again, as per the suggestion.
So, let's get this thread going again, and share your muzzleloading related adventures of the day!
Sanded two stocks, polished the wood...stained one mocha... other one in BLO... tore down a trigger assembly...rusted...heck...phoned around looking for drill stock...nope. Sanded 1000g ...again...more BLO. Fitted captured wedges...blew out the side on one barrel channel...capture pins too big...heck and shuckydarn. Cleaned off my bench so I could do all that. and took a nap.

polished colonial lock plate and grayed it.
tapered the stick that came with the kit. nice rod, good wood. stained it with tannic acid/Alcohol, then Aqua Fortis. blushed it and top stained with cherry from LMF. wanted it dark and red undertone to match the stock. been drying on the clothes rack over the wood stove. dry enough to tru-oil.
love going to bed with the smell of tru-oil on my fingers. even the bride likes it.
started cleaning up the cock. Kibler makes them so fine that it almost doesn't need cleanup.
where did i leave that oil. g'night.

Tinkered on a hodge podge Japanese "Tower" Sea Sercive Style pistol I'm putting together. The stock was originally from an octagonal barrel version of that style pistol, the lock came off a nonfiring Japanese Harper's Ferry replica pistol that I accidentally bought last summer, and the barrel is one I traded for a little while back. Got the barrel and the lock mostly fitted to the stock tonight, still some finally fitting to do before I start reworking the stock itself. Bits and pieces here and there is the name of my game. Thirty minutes of tinkering and piddling with any muzzleloader beats not having any time to at all, so I ain't really got reason to complain.

polished colonial lock plate and grayed it.
tapered the stick that came with the kit. nice rod, good wood. stained it with tannic acid/Alcohol, then Aqua Fortis. blushed it and top stained with cherry from LMF. wanted it dark and red undertone to match the stock. been drying on the clothes rack over the wood stove. dry enough to tru-oil.
love going to bed with the smell of tru-oil on my fingers. even the bride likes it.
started cleaning up the cock. Kibler makes them so fine that it almost doesn't need cleanup.
where did i leave that oil. g'night.
I'm surprised Jim hasn't started CNC' in the cocks.

Had to clear the barrel on a little traditions 32 deerstalker..
Had the rod tip and a cleaning jag in there since last summer.
Had forgot about it, then came across and it decided it was time.
Little powder behind the nipple and it's out.. Going to clean up the bore best I can then cone it and see how it shoots yet. I love the little 32 for the kids especially, but man does it fowl up quickly. And when we have our shoots and the 2 of them share it, it sure gets nasty quick. I thought about having it reamed into 36 or 40 Smooth just for them at shoots.

Done some more on the horn over the last 6 days.

Attachments

• 20240425_110854.jpg
    20240425_110854.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I and 3 other guys spent 2 1/2 hours with group of 16 young men ages 12 to 17 teaching them about flintlock and cap rifles how to safely load, shoot and take care of these rifles. We had the young men shoot over 100 rounds. Most of them were really enthused about shooting BP. Good time had by all.

I and 3 other guys spent 2 1/2 hours with group of 16 young men ages 12 to 17 teaching them about flintlock and cap rifles how to safely load, shoot and take care of these rifles. We had the young men shoot over 100 rounds. Most of them were really enthused about shooting BP. Good time had by all.
Good job!! The only way to keep this sport going is to get and keep the younger generation involved! :thumb:

Spent much of the morning making paper cartridges for my Colt Signature Series Special 1861, then off to the range to try them out. Halfway through, wouldn't you know it, someone else shows up with an 1861!! Now, what are the ODDS?? Two shooters on the same day at the same range with the SAME BP ML rifle musket?!?!? As we used to say "back in the day" FAR OUT!! Anyhoo, turns out his is an Armi Sport, mine a (mostly w/ Colt final touches) Pedersoli. (I think mine is prettier, but that's IMO) So we can trade some info about rifles and ammo. Clearly, his rifle shoots better - or more likely he's a better shot with it (though I'd be happy to duel with Mausers ... this is only my fourth shoot with the 1861). But good times, some learning and plenty of BP smoke generated, so went home, gave the Colt a serious deep clean, and overall had a pretty decent BP ML day.

Back