• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a drum of oil in at work and it came on this nice, red oak pallet. I don't have a tabletop planer but do have a table saw and 5" DA sander so I cut up the pallet and made me a simple range box for taking to target competitions. Still need to sand and finish the fold down front and glue some leather in the rifle rest notch.

View attachment 293254

View attachment 293255
dang thats nice. u sir do good work. thanks por pics

dang thats nice. u sir do good work. thanks por pics

Thanks. I was too lazy to dovetail the corners or pocket cut the screws so they wouldn't show and it's too rainy to forge the hardware but it's glued and screwed, solid and almost ready to go with me to a shoot in three weeks.

I can't decide whether to line the top tray with felt, newspaper, or striped ticking.

Flint the people in the picture might be David Wright on the left and Mel Bank's on the right. David is a very gifted artist and Mel is a history lecturer on anything during colonial times.
Sure wished I could have made it to the show.
You are correct. I told Mel that the artist paid me to take that painting off his table. Lol. David and Mel signed it for me.

Flint the people in the picture might be David Wright on the left and Mel Bank's on the right. David is a very gifted artist and Mel is a history lecturer on anything during colonial times.
Sure wished I could have made it to the show.
David Wright and Mel Hankla.

Wind wasn't blowing this morning so I thought I'd get out and do some muzzle loading.
Couldn't hit nothing at 200 yards moved into 100 and still could not see where I was hitting, so I went over to Beaver hole and tried a few shots at some cattail sticks and seen that my sights are way off

Attachments

• IMG_20240210_101500.jpg
    IMG_20240210_101500.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
At about 20 yards it's hitting quite a bit low and off to the right.
At 200 yards it's no wonder I can't hit a barn.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240211-092409~2.png
    Screenshot_20240211-092409~2.png
    273 KB · Views: 0
Wind wasn't blowing this morning so I thought I'd get out and do some muzzle loading.
Couldn't hit nothing at 200 yards moved into 100 and still could not see where I was hitting, so I went over to Beaver hole and tried a few shots at some cattail sticks and seen that my sights are way off
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, back to the workbench you go!

I think that's exactly what I'm going to do,
I'm going to take these adjustable sites off and put a non-adjustable sight on this. So it can't ever move one way or the other up or down, have the zero at 200 yards and then just figure where I need to hold at 100, and if ever I'm firin at a Target beyond 200 I'll hold a bit high

Speaking of gunpowder I'd like some of us to petition the moderator to starting a section for black powder,
For example there's a section on flintlocks a section on percussions,
a section on rifles,
a section on handguns,
etc etc,
remember there would be no guns if it was not for blackpowder,
I would like to see a section specifically for discussing black powder

If you got a minute can you tell a little more about your powder pucking? How you do it?
After ball milling the three different types of pixy dust for about 12 hours, I add just enough distilled water to prevent dust from forming when stirred. I then use a 12 ton press on a 40 mm Internal Diameter rosin press. Pump it until it holds my body weight (165 lbs.), let it sit for about 30 seconds, release the pressure and pop it out. I then let it dry for about 9-10 days before I proceed to grinding.

I got a drum of oil in at work and it came on this nice, red oak pallet. I don't have a tabletop planer but do have a table saw and 5" DA sander so I cut up the pallet and made me a simple range box for taking to target competitions. Still need to sand and finish the fold down front and glue some leather in the rifle rest notch.

View attachment 293254

View attachment 293255

View attachment 293254

View attachment 293255
Don't sand to much... rustic looks better... beautiful box...

Speaking of gunpowder I'd like some of us to petition the moderator to starting a section for black powder,
For example there's a section on flintlocks a section on percussions,
a section on rifles,
a section on handguns,
etc etc,
remember there would be no guns if it was not for blackpowder,
I would like to see a section specifically for discussing black powder
Well, discussing the making of powder is not permitted per MLM rules. Not that I personally care one way or the other. But given that it might save you the from the effort to get it started.

really wasn't what I was bringing up, Not interested in a section for discussing the manufacturer of black powder,

There's a vast amount of History and events and circumstances and people and times and places that have to do with black powder.
it would just be a discussion section for the material, just like the section for flintlocks just like this section for percussion lock just like the section for handguns

really wasn't what I was bringing up, Not interested in a section for discussing the manufacturer of black powder,

There's a vast amount of History and events and circumstances and people and times and places that have to do with black powder.
it would just be a discussion section for the material, just like the section for flintlocks just like this section for percussion lock just like the section for handguns
I'd be on board with that.

Latest posts

Back